Images News Netwok

Police officer injured in Anantnag attack dies at AIIMS

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Guv, DGP expresses grief

Srinagar, Jun 16: Jammu and Kashmir Police inspector Arshad Ahmed Khan, who suffered injuries in Wednesday’s militant attack in Anantnag, died at the premier AIIMS New Delhi on Sunday, officials said.

With his death, the toll in the attack rose to six, including five CRPF personnel.

Governor Satya Pal Malik has expressed grief over the sad demise of Arshad Ahmad Khan, Station House Officer (SHO), Sadder Police Station, Anantnag.

Khan, who was injured in a Fidayeen attack at Anantnag on June 12 succumbed to injuries at AIIMS in Delhi on Sunday.

In his message, Governor has paid rich tributes to SHO Khan for attaining martyrdom and described his demise a big loss to the Police department.

Mentioning that SHO Khan’s bravery saved many lives, Governor stated that “We are all grateful to such brave hearts who are sacrificing their lives for security of the nation”.

Governor has prayed for eternal peace to the departed soul and expressed sympathy and solidarity with family members of the deceased.

Khan, 37, was flown to Delhi this afternoon in an air ambulance for specialised treatment.

Soon after he was admitted to the hospital, his condition started deteriorating further. The doctors at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) made every effort to revive him but failed, the officials said.

Earlier, he was being treated at the 92 Base Hospital of the Army in Srinagar.

Director General of Police (DGP) Dilbagh Singh said the Jammu and Kashmir Police have lost one of its brilliant officers.

“We made every effort to see that the officer survives, but unfortunately we lost him. It is a sad day for J-K Police family which lost yet another son to the wanton violence being perpetrated from across the border,” Singh said.

Inspector General of Police (Kashmir range) Swayam Prakash Pani expressed his condolences and said “he was a true braveheart and a people-friendly Station House Officer. His expertise in counter-insurgency operations was unmatchable”.

“I was hopeful that he will win the battle for his life but unfortunately we lost him today,” Pani said.

Khan is survived by wife and two sons, aged four and one.

Five CRPF personnel were killed in the militant attack in which a Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) militant targeted a patrol team of the paramilitary force.

Khan, the SHO of Saddar Police station in Anantnag, reached the site soon after.

“The moment he stepped out of his official bulletproof vehicle, along with his service rifle, a barrage of bullets were fired by the terrorist. One ricocheted from the butt of his service rifle and hit his liver and duodenum,” the officials said.

He received praise from senior officials for his prompt and courageous response after the attack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *