• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Governor orders probe into BJP worker’s murder

Images News Netwok by Images News Netwok
May 6, 2019
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Governor orders probe into BJP worker’s murder
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: The killing of a BJP leader in south Kashmir has sparked off a controversy with Governor Satya Pal Malik Sunday ordering an inquiry headed by state chief secretary B V R Subrahmanyam to “identify lapses” while political parties accused the Governor administration of creating a chaotic situation by withdrawing security of political activists.

Condoling the death of Gul Mohammed Mir, 57, the BJP leader who unsuccessfully contested on the party ticket in 2008 and 2014 assembly elections from Dooru in South Kashmir, Malik asked the chief secretary to identify any lapses on part of the security agencies in ensuring security of political activists, an official spokesman said.

More News

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…

Load More

The governor has called for an emergency meeting on Monday, when government offices will reopen in summer capital of Srinagar after the bi-annual ‘Darbar move’, during which he will review the safety and security aspects of all political leaders and sarpanches in the state, he said.

Malik directed the chief secretary to get an inquiry conducted into the killings of political leaders belonging to various parties in the state in the last few months.

Mir, whose affidavit shows his age as 52 in 2014 assembly elections, was shot dead Saturday night outside his residence at Nowgam in the Verinag area of South Kashmir.

He was shifted to a hospital in a critical condition, but the doctors there declared him brought dead.

His son, Zahoor Ahmed Mir, said his father’s security was withdrawn two months ago and all efforts to get it back had fallen on deaf ears.

“I had given a letter of the BJP leaders to SSP Anantnag but he expressed his helplessness and directed me to see Munir Khan (Additional Director General of Police in charge of security),” he said.

Security of political activists, including the elder Mir, was withdrawn on the orders of the chief secretary in February despite opposition from security agencies, officials said.

The security agencies had suggested that no security should be withdrawn until the election process is completed.

However, the chief secretary ordered reconstitution of the screening committee and removed police officials from it and appointed state home secretary Shaleen Kabra as its chairman, a move that has come under criticism.

Former chief minister and National Conference vice president Omar Abdullah, while taking a potshot at the chief secretary, said withdrawing security of political activists was a “foolish decision”.

“Questions need to be asked but they can’t be answered by the person who was responsible for the actual order to withdraw security. The security withdrawal had been opposed by state and central intelligence agencies so who overruled them and went ahead regardless?,” he tweeted.

“Not long ago senior BJP leaders were bragging about how undeserving people had their security withdrawn in J&K. I’d warned against the decision then and yesterday’s assassination of Gul Mohd Mir only confirms what I’d feared – it was a foolish decision disconnected from reality,”Abdullah said.

Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress chief G A Mir said the inquiry ordered by the governor was an “eyewash” while CPI(M) leader M Y Tarigami demanded a judicial enquiry into the lapses.

“How can anyone, who is part of the system, enquire into it,” Tarigami asked.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Sunday condemned the killing of a BJP leader in Jammu and Kashmir, saying there is no place for violence in the country.

“Strongly condemn the killing of @BJP4JnK leader Shri Ghulam Mohammed Mir. His contribution towards strengthening the party in J&K will always be remembered,” Modi tweeted.

Extending condolences, he said, “There is no place for such violence in our country.”

BJP President Amit Shah Sunday condoled the killing of party leader and said extremist forces in Kashmir cannot demoralise its workers with violence.

In a tweet, Shah said, “I am saddened by killing of Ghulam Mohammed Mir, BJP leader from Anantnag. His contribution in strengthening the BJP in the valley was immense”.

“Extremist forces in the valley can’t demoralise BJP karyakartas with violence.My condolences with the bereaved family,” Shah tweeted.

Previous Post

Police probing money distribution at BJP rally in Ladakh

Next Post

Two soldiers injured in landmine blast in Kupwara 

Images News Netwok

Images News Netwok

Related Posts

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha

Narco-terrorists, drug peddlers will be hunted down: LG Sinha
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Tuesday issued a stern warning to the narco-terror ecosystem, saying narco-terrorists and drug-peddlers can...

Read moreDetails

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award

LG honors Nari Shakti with Lal Ded National Award
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha today attended the “Lal Ded National Award Ceremony” organised by Sarhad, Pune, at Srinagar. Speaking...

Read moreDetails

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…

Irony: Forest Deptt demolishes, Minister condemns…
May 20, 2026

Jammu: Police and Forest Department teams on Tuesday demolished over 30 structures and retrieved nearly 60 kanals of forest land...

Read moreDetails

Sajad Lone, Altaf Bukhari condemn demolition

Sajad Lone, Altaf Bukhari condemn demolition
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Conference President and MLA Handwara, Sajad Lone and Apni Party President, Syed Altaf Bukhari have...

Read moreDetails

Petrol, diesel prices raised by 90 paise a litre, second hike under a week

Petrol, diesel prices cut by 9 paise each
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Petrol and diesel prices were raised by about 90 paise per litre on Tuesday - the second increase...

Read moreDetails

High Court quashes FIR against former Ranji cricketer

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 20, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of J&K and Ladakh High on Tuesday quashed an FIR registered against former Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Army soldier injured in landmine explosion in Poonch

Two soldiers injured in landmine blast in Kupwara 

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.