• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Rahul did not intend to attribute ‘chowkidar chor hai’ to SC, will use slogan in future: Cong

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 24, 2019
in NATION
A A
0
BJP trying to create ‘hyper nationalistic environment’ ahead of LS polls: Rahul
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi, Apr 23 :  The Congress on Tuesday said its president Rahul Gandhi in his “explanation” to the Supreme Court has asserted that it was never his intention to attribute the “chowkidar chor hai” slogan to the apex court, but the party will continue to use the expression in the future.

The party’s assertion came hours after the Supreme Court issued criminal contempt notice to the Congress president for his “chowkidar chor hai” remark on Prime Minister Narendra Modi while referring to the Rafale judgment, which the apex court said was “incorrectly attributed” to it.

More News

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

Load More

The top court said it will hear on April 30 the criminal contempt petition filed by BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi against Gandhi along with the pending review petition against the December 14, 2018 verdict in the Rafale fighter jet deal.

Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Congress spokesperson and senior advocate who appeared on behalf of Gandhi, said last week the Supreme Court had asked Gandhi to provide explanation to it in the matter.

He said in the detailed explanation filed on Monday, it has been clearly mentioned that a campaign is being run by Gandhi, Congress and other parties since the last 18 months or so stating that Prime Minister Modi, some Union ministers and others are complicit in the Rafale “scam”.

“In this context, we had coined and repeatedly used, endorsed and relied upon the political slogan ‘chowkidar chor hai’ which we have done, we continue to do, and will continue to rely upon,” Singhvi said, citing Gandhi’s reply in the court.

“It was never our intention to attribute this slogan as a finding of the Supreme Court. Indeed it could not have been such an intention for the simple reason that no court much less the Supreme Court would adopt or endorse such a slogan in a court order,” he said.

Singhvi said he requested the court to close the matter, asserting that the BJP was politicising it and even using the court as a forum for politicisation.

On hearing Singhvi, on behalf of Gandhi, a bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said: “We deem it fit to issue notice to the respondent (Rahul) Gandhi.”

“We also direct the registry to list the review petition along with the contempt petition next Tuesday,” said the bench, also comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and Sanjiv Khanna.

The apex court on April 15 had given a categorical clarification that in its Rafale verdict there was no occasion for it to make a mention of the contemptuous “chowkidar Narendra Modi chor hai” observation and had directed the Congress president to give his explanation on it.

In her plea, Lekhi, the Lok Sabha MP from New Delhi constituency, has alleged that Gandhi has attributed his personal remarks to the top court and tried to create prejudice.

The Congress has alleged corruption and favouritism in the Rafale fighter jet deal and party president Gandhi has made a barrage of allegations against the prime minister.

The government has, however, denied any wrongdoing in the Rafale deal.

Previous Post

Cop Killed, 10 CRPF Men, Govt Employees Among 20 Injured In Kokernag Accidents

Next Post

Inter school tournament for boys begins at Udhampur

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 20, 2026

Jagdalpur:  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday said Naxalism has been completely eradicated from the country ahead of the...

Read moreDetails

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Army chief reviews counter-terror ops, deliberates on infusion of advanced tech
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Under Operation Sindoor, Indian forces dismantled terror infrastructure, punctured a long-standing strategic assumption, and then stopped "deliberately and...

Read moreDetails

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

NDA govt at Centre ‘crippled’; opposition dealt fatal blow to BJP: Rahul Gandhi
May 20, 2026

Raebareli (UP): Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday launched a scathing attack on...

Read moreDetails

All must follow law to maintain harmony: Rijiju on Adityanath’s remarks over namaz on streets

May 20, 2026

New Delhi:  Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Tuesday reacted to remarks linked to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 19, 2026

Oslo:  India and Norway have firmed up a Green Strategic Partnership, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Norwegian counterpart...

Read moreDetails

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 18, 2026

Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh):  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday asserted that India is now "by and large" free from three...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Inter school tournament for boys begins at Udhampur

Inter school tournament for boys begins at Udhampur

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.