• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

UN Security Council condemns Taliban announcement of spring offensive

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 16, 2019
in Latest News
A A
0
UN Security Council condemns Taliban announcement of spring offensive
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

United Nations: The UN Security Council has condemned the announcement by the Taliban of a spring offensive, saying it will only result in more unnecessary suffering and destruction for the Afghan people.

In a press statement on the Taliban Offensive, members of the 15-nation Council said they recognised the Afghan people’s strong desire for sustainable peace in Afghanistan. They underscored that calls for more fighting will not advance the goal of making a sustainable peace.

More News

Kashmir records above normal temp as Srinagar sizzles at 31.5 C

KU extends deadline for B.Tech, M.Tech admission applications till May 21

Former PDC engineer chargesheeted for forgery, destruction of evidence

Load More

“The members of the Security Council condemned the announcement by the Taliban of a spring offensive, which will only result in more unnecessary suffering and destruction for the Afghan people,” the press statement said.

The Taliban on Friday announced their annual spring offensive, which comes as American and Afghan politicians try to negotiate for a peace settlement with the terror group.

Operation Fath, which means “victory” in Arabic, will be conducted across Afghanistan with the aim of “eradicating occupation” and “cleansing our Muslim homeland from invasion and corruption”, the Taliban said in a statement.

The annual spring offensive traditionally marks the start of the so-called fighting season. “Our Jihadi obligation has not yet ended,” the Taliban said.

The members of the Security Council called on all parties to the conflict to seize the opportunity to begin an inclusive intra-Afghan dialogue and negotiations that result in a political settlement.

They reiterated the importance of an inclusive Afghan-led and-owned peace process for the long-term prosperity and stability of Afghanistan, and expressed their full support for the Afghan Government’s efforts to that end.

The Council members reiterated that, as mandated by the Security Council, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and the Special Representative of the Secretary-General stand ready to provide their good offices to support the Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process, if requested by and in close consultation with the Afghan Government.

A United Nations report released by the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and the UN Human Rights Office in February this year said more civilians were killed in the Afghan conflict last year than at any time since records have been kept.

The UN has said that Afghanistan suffered the highest number of civilians deaths in 2018 due to fighting and violence, a record described as deeply disturbing and wholly unacceptable.

Fighting and brutal violence claimed exactly 3,804 civilian lives in 2018 including 927 children, another tragic record for the year according to the data carefully collected by the UN. The number represents an increase of 11 per cent compared to 2017. In addition, 7,189 people were injured in 2018, 5 per cent more than in the previous year.

Overall, close to two thirds of the civilian casualties were caused by armed opposition groups, including the Taliban, Islamic State and other undetermined groups. However, civilians were also collateral victims of pro-Government forces (including the Afghan military and international forces) responsible for close to one quarter of all civilian casualties.

The report is the UN’s 10th annual report documenting the plight of civilians in the Afghan conflict: in a decade, more than 32,000 civilians have been killed and around 60,000 have been injured. The conflict, which has now gone on for a total of four decades, has claimed thousands and thousands more lives, it said.

Previous Post

Sharif may undergo heart surgery

Next Post

Injured during rally, PC worker succumbs at SKIMS

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Kashmir records above normal temp as Srinagar sizzles at 31.5 C

For the third day in a row, the Earth’s average temperature remained at a record high
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir witnessed hot and dry weather on Monday, with several places recording above normal temperatures, while the...

Read moreDetails

KU extends deadline for B.Tech, M.Tech admission applications till May 21

Kashmir University wins ‘GATI Achiever’ award
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: University of Kashmir has extended the last date for submission of online application forms for admission to B.Tech and...

Read moreDetails

Former PDC engineer chargesheeted for forgery, destruction of evidence

Police produces chargesheet in Bemina terrorist attack case
May 18, 2026

Srinagar:: The Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of Crime Branch J&K has filed a chargesheet against a former In-charge Superintendent Engineer...

Read moreDetails

Delhi HC grants Bail to MP Er Rashid to attend father’s funeral rites

Out on interim bail, Engineer Rashid meets ailing father in Srinagar hospital
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Delhi High Court on Monday granted interim bail to Baramulla MP Er Rashid to enable him to attend...

Read moreDetails

Rupee falls to record low of 96.25 against US dollar

Rupee falls to record low of 96.25 against US dollar
May 18, 2026

Mumbai: The rupee opened on a weak note and slumped to an all-time low of 96.25 in early trade on...

Read moreDetails

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Battling for life for 12 days, critically injured Kangan youth succumbed at SKIMS

Injured during rally, PC worker succumbs at SKIMS

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.