• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

NZ PM Ardern vows mosque killer will face ‘full force of law’

AFP/ PTI by AFP/ PTI
March 19, 2019
in Latest News
A A
0
 New Zealand PM says attack victims came from across the Muslim world
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Christchurch: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern vowed Tuesday never to utter the name of the twin-mosque gunman as she opened a sombre session of parliament with an evocative “as-salaam alaikum” message of peace to Muslims.

“He will face the full force of the law in New Zealand,” Ardern pledged to grieving Kiwis, while promising that she would deprive the man, an avowed white supremacist who slaughtered 50 people in Christchurch, of the publicity he craved.

More News

Former PDC engineer chargesheeted for forgery, destruction of evidence

Delhi HC grants Bail to MP Er Rashid to attend father’s funeral rites

Rupee falls to record low of 96.25 against US dollar

Load More

“He sought many things from his act of terror, but one was notoriety,” she told assembled lawmakers of the 28-year-old Australian accused of the slaughter.

“That is why you will never hear me mention his name. He is a terrorist. He is a criminal. He is an extremist. But he will, when I speak, be nameless.”

“I implore you: Speak the names of those who were lost rather than the name of the man who took them.” Dressed in black, the 38-year-old leader opened her remarks in parliament with a symbolic gesture, repeating the greeting uttered every day across the Islamic world: “as-salaam alaikum”.

She closed her address by noting that “on Friday, it will be a week since the attack, members of the Muslim community will gather for worship on that day. Let us acknowledge their grief as they do.”

“Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,” she said — “May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you too.”

Her comments came as dozens of relatives of the deceased began arriving from around the world ahead of expected funerals which have already been delayed far beyond the 24 hours after death usually observed under Islamic custom.

Peter Elms of New Zealand’s immigration department said 65 visas had been granted for overseas family members so far.

The slow process of identification and forensic documentation has so far made burials impossible, augmenting families’ grief.

Javed Dadabhai, who travelled from Auckland to help bury his cousin, said families and volunteers were told: “It is going to be a very slow process, a very thorough process.”

“Some families have been invited to have a look at their family members… the ones that are easiest to recognise, but we are talking about three or four.” “The majority of people still have not had the opportunity to see their family members,” he told AFP.

Mohamed Safi, 23, whose father Matiullah Safi died in Al Noor mosque, pleaded for officials to let him identify his father get a date for his burial.

“There’s nothing they are offering,” Safi, an Afghan refugee, said outside a family support centre.

“They are just saying they are doing their procedures, they are doing their process. But what process? Why do I not know what you are going through to identify the body… Why am I not contacted as an immediate family member?”

In the wake of the mass shooting, Ardern has promised to reform New Zealand gun laws that allowed the gunman to legally purchase the weapons he used in the attack on two Christchurch mosques, including semi-automatic rifles.

New Zealanders have already begun answering government appeals to hand in their weapons, including John Hart, a farmer in the North Island district of Masterton.

Hart said it was an easy decision for him to hand in his semi-automatic and tweeted: “on the farm they are a useful tool in some circumstances, but my convenience doesn’t outweigh the risk of misuse. We don’t need these in our country.”

The tweet drew a barrage of derogatory messages to his Facebook account — most apparently from the US, where the pro-gun lobby is powerful and vociferous.

Hart deleted the messages but posted online: “A warm kia ora to all my new American Facebook friends.” “I’m not familiar with your local customs, but I assume ‘Cuck’ is a traditional greeting,” he said of the insult, short for “cuckold” frequently used by far-right pundits.

Police said they did not have data available on the number of weapons handed in since Friday.

But they issued a statement saying that “due to heightened security and the current environment, we would ask that people please call us first before attempting to surrender a firearm.”

Ardern has said that details of the government’s proposed law changes on gun ownership will be announced by next week, but she indicated that gun buybacks and a ban on some semi-automatic rifles were under consideration.

“The terror attack in Christchurch… was the worst act of terrorism on our shores, it was in fact one of the worst globally in recent times,” she said.

“It has exposed a range of weaknesses in New Zealand’s gun laws.

Previous Post

Pak SC to hear Nawaz’s appeal for bail on medical grounds

Next Post

Omar demands ‘exemplary punishment’ in J&K teacher’s custodial death

AFP/ PTI

AFP/ PTI

Related Posts

Former PDC engineer chargesheeted for forgery, destruction of evidence

Police produces chargesheet in Bemina terrorist attack case
May 18, 2026

Srinagar:: The Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of Crime Branch J&K has filed a chargesheet against a former In-charge Superintendent Engineer...

Read moreDetails

Delhi HC grants Bail to MP Er Rashid to attend father’s funeral rites

Out on interim bail, Engineer Rashid meets ailing father in Srinagar hospital
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Delhi High Court on Monday granted interim bail to Baramulla MP Er Rashid to enable him to attend...

Read moreDetails

Rupee falls to record low of 96.25 against US dollar

Rupee falls to record low of 96.25 against US dollar
May 18, 2026

Mumbai: The rupee opened on a weak note and slumped to an all-time low of 96.25 in early trade on...

Read moreDetails

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

 Traditional ‘tongas’ gather popularity in Jammu border belt amid PM appeal to save fuel

 Traditional ‘tongas’ gather popularity in Jammu border belt amid PM appeal to save fuel
May 18, 2026

R S Pura/Jammu:  Traditional horse-driven tongas, once a common mode of transport in the border areas of Jammu, are seeing...

Read moreDetails

3 drug peddlers held

May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Police have arrested three drug peddlers in Awantipora and Anantnag and recovered contraband substances from their possession. A police...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Omar will be NC’s chief ministerial candidate: Farooq Abdullah

Omar demands 'exemplary punishment' in J&K teacher's custodial death

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.