AFP/ PTI

Floods kill 23 in Malawi: Ministry

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Blantyre (Malawi), Mar 8 :  Floods caused by incessant downpours have left 23 people dead across Malawi, the country's Homeland Security Ministry said on Friday.

In addition to the confirmed deaths, 11 people were also been reported missing with around 110,000 affected, a statement said.

Twelve districts, all in the south of the country, had been blighted by the deluges.

Malawi defence force and police search and rescue teams were working in collaboration with the Malawi Red Cross, the statement added.

In one affected district, Mulanje, camps had been set up for displaced people, Commissioner Charles Makanga told AFP.

The rains also hit transport links with two major bridges submerged, cutting off access to Blantyre, Malawi's second largest city.

According to the country's Meteorological Department, sporadic downpours are due to continue until the middle of next week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *