Images News Netwok

Omar questions PM’s, Cong’s silence on 'systematic targeting of Kashmiris'

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Slams withdrawal of security to mainstream political workers as retrograde step

              Photo/Javed Khan

Srinagar, Feb 21: National Conference leader Omar Abdullah on Thursday hit out at both Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the opposition Congress for not speaking out against the "systematic targeting of Kashmiris" in various parts of the country following the Pulwama suicide attack last week.

Addressing a press conference here, the former chief minister said he had been looking for a statesman but only found politicians, and asserted that the country needs an alternative to the BJP, not BJP's B-team.

"We didn't have much expectation from the BJP but we had expectations from the prime minister. We had hoped he would keep politics aside and say something," he told reporters.

"While the PM is silent, it is sad the country's largest opposition party's leadership also remained silent," Abdullah added.

He also asked Governor Satya Pal Malik to ensure the security of Kashmiri students who were forced to return home following threats and attacks in several parts of the country after the Pulwama incident.

"There is need to ensure the safety of Kashmiri students who have returned home fearing attacks on them," he said, adding that arrangements should be made so they don't suffer academic losses.

The people of Kashmir, Abdullah said, were expecting to hear two words of sympathy and moral support from the Congress.

"Today, they had a press conference where everything was talked about. But they should have talked about the systematic targeting as well. These are the very forces that Congress is fighting with words and want to defeat... We regret the Congress has not raised its voice against these forces effectively," he added.

Asked if the BJP was behind the attacks on Kashmiris, the National Conference vice president said he had no firm evidence to suggest it.

"But there definitely is a silence," he said, recalling that then prime minister Manmohan Singh appeared on national television on November 27, 2008, one day after 26/11 Mumbai attacks.

"Manmohan Singh... called for calm and called for ensuring that there is no attempt to take the law in one's own hands, that there will be no selective targeting of a particular community," he said.

While the scale of the 26/11 attack was far greater than the Pulwama bombing, the people of Jammu and Kashmir were experiencing the fallout, he said.

"It would not have been unfair to expect our current PM to take out a leaf from Manmohan Singh... and appeal to the country to not do this. This is a prime minister who has said those who criticise the new train should be punished.

"For some reason, criticising a train is more worrisome to our prime minister than assaulting and demonising an entire community. Now this is a prime minister, whose priorities, I am sorry, I fail to understand," he said.

Asked about the timing of the attacks on Kashmiris, Abdullah said it would be shortsighted on his part to suggest the forthcoming elections have nothing to do with it.

Responding to a question on whether the Congress was keeping silent due to elections, Abdullah said he hoped that was not the case.

"To my mind that would be a great disservice to this country. The country needs an alternative to the BJP, not BJP's B-team. I would expect and hope the Congress and all other like-minded parties and right minded parties take a strong stand against this systematic targeting of Kashmiris," he said.

According to Abdullah, talks with Pakistan cannot be held in the backdrop of attacks such as the one in Pulwama.

"They (the Pakistan prime minister and administration) may offer dialogue but talks cannot be held in the backdrop of Pulwama like attacks. You (Pakistan) need to take some concrete measures there," he said.

Referring to Modi's comments of stern action after the Pulwama attack, Abdullah said such a response was not possible in the current scenario.

"Our PM has talked about a 'muh tod jawab' but such a reply is not possible in the current situation... Particularly now with the Pakistani PM having said that not only will Pakistan think of responding but will respond."

Referring to the withdrawal of security to 155 political persons, including separatists, he said, “I am not aware of anybody misusing security."

"Security was provided by successive governments based to threat perception. Two prominent separatist leaders who at some point of time advocated dialogue were killed by militants. Withdrawing security to mainstream political activists will prevent them from occupying the political space. I have already said this is a regressive step and should be reviewed. Else, we will go to court," he added.

Abdullah also criticised Meghalaya Governor Tathagatha Roy for backing the boycott of "everything Kashmiri" and said it was unfortunate.

Citing attacks in Chhattisgarh, he said no one called for punishing people in the state.

"... Why are we being punished? Just because we are the only Muslim majority state in the country?" Abdullah asked.

Incidents of selective targeting of Kashmiris will lead to further alienation of people in the state, he warned.

Omar Abullah termed as a "retrograde" step the withdrawal of security to some mainstream political activists here, noting that it will weaken the political activity in the state.

"Withdrawal of security to mainstream political workers & office bearers is a retrograde step that will only weaken political activity in the valley. This is regardless of the fact that no one from @JKNC_ has had their security withdrawn in yesterday's list," he said.

Urging the Governor Satya Pal Malik to reconsider his administration's decision, the former chief minister said they will approach the court if it is not revisited.

"I would like to encourage @jandkgovernor to reconsider this step. If it is not revisited we will approach the courts & ask them to intervene," Omar wrote in a series of tweets.

He alleged that there seemed to be an element of pick and choose at play in the decision to withdraw the security of some mainstream political activists.

"I have no doubt this step was taken without taking into consideration inputs from central & state intelligence agencies which can only mean it's been done for political purposes & there is an element of pick & choose at play here," he added.

The state government on Wednesday announced withdrawal or downgrading of security of 155 persons, including 18 separatists. The list included former IAS officer Shah Faesal and PDP youth president Waheed Parra.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *