Images News Netwok

Militants carry out 4 grenade attacks in Kashmir; cop wounded

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar, Jan 25: Suspected militants on Friday carried out four grenade attacks – three in south Kashmir districts of Anantnag and Shopian, which left a police constable wounded, and one in Sopore town of north Kashmir.

Reports said that suspected militants lobbed a grenade at a police post at Bus stand Anantnag today afternoon.

A police constable Sajad Ahmad was wounded in the blast, said an official, adding that he was shifted to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Soon after the blast, the forces resorted to aerial firing, witnesses said.

Minutes before, suspected militants also lobbed a grenade at police station Srigufwara in Bijbehara area of the district. No loss of life or injuries were reported in the incident.

However, DIG South Kashmir Amit Kumar denied the report of grenade attack in Srigufwara. “It was the sound of snag in power transformer in the locality,” he said about the blast.

Militants also lobbed a grenade towards Tahab camp in Pulwama district on Friday evening.

Reports said that suspected militant lobbed a grenade towards Tahab camp which exploded outside the gate of Tahab camp, following which forces fired some gunshots.

A police officer said there was no loss of life or injury reported. The whole area has been cordoned off to nab the attackers.

Suspected militants on Friday evening also hurled a grenade at paramilitary CRPF bunker in Sopore town of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.

According to reports, militants lobbed the grenade at the bunker of CRPF 179 battalion.

Officials said the grenade missed its target and exploded on the roadside without causing any damage.

“Soon after the blast, government forces cordoned off the area and started searches to nab the attackers,” they added.

Militants on Friday evening also attacked CRPF camp in Midoora hamlet of Tral township in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, police said.

Police said that militants fired towards the CRPF camp from a distance in Midoora at 8:20 PM. The CRPF troopers on duty retaliated by firing towards the militants.

The brief exchange of fire, police said, continued for some time, but no loss of life or injury was reported.

Following the attack reinforcements were rushed to the spot and joint forces launched searches to nab the attackers, said an official.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *