Gunmen kill police sub-inspector in Pulwama

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

PDP worker shot dead in Srinagar

 BY: Majid Kapra/Mir Zeeshan

File Photo of killed SI.

Srinagar/Pulwama: A 40-year-old PDP worker was shot dead by suspected militants in Srinagar while as unknown gunmen Sunday late afternoon also shot dead a police sub-inspector in Wahibugh village of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

Mohammad Amin Dar, a resident of Gangbugh, was an associate of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader and former finance minister Syed Altaf Bukhari, they said.

“Dar was fired upon by the militants. He was rushed to a hospital where he died,” they said.

Condemning the killing, Bukhari, who is currently outside the country, described the deceased as a “thorough gentleman who worked tirelessly for the welfare of common people of his area through-out his entire life”.

“The news of death of Mohammad Amin Dar has come as a shock to me. I extend my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family,” Bukhari said.

He said “the cowardly act of the unknown gunmen has not only shattered the economically downtrodden family of the deceased but has also inflicted a personal damage to him.”

“I pray to Almighty Allah to grant him Jannat and bestow endurance to the bereaved family to bear this irreparable loss,” he added.

Meanwhile, unknown gunmen on Sunday late afternoon shot dead a police sub-inspector in Wahibugh village of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

A police official said that suspected militants waylaid the police officer when he was travelling in his private car (JK01AD- 8352).

Police identified the slain officer as Sub-Inspector Imtiyaz Ahmad Mir, who worked with the CID wing, and was currently posted with Police Station Shergarhi in Srinagar.

Mir, 30, a resident of Sountbugh-Ticken village of the same district, was shot dead near Romshi Nallah in Wahibugh.

“His bullet-ridden body was recovered along with his private vehicle,” police said, adding that a case has been registered and investigation has been taken up.

Wreath laying ceremony was held at District Police Lines Pulwama, police said.

Civil and police officers led by Inspector General of Police S.P Pani laid floral wreaths and paid rich tributes to the martyred police officer, a police spokesman said.

Meanwhile, PTI reported that Mir had been warned against venturing into his village as there was a possibility of attack by militant groups, who have been targeting policemen in the state recently.

“I had told him that he should not go as militants could attack. But he was desperate to see his parents who reside at Sontabugh in the interiors of Pulwama district,” recalled one of his supervising officers.

“This morning as he was preparing to leave for home, he came with a changed appearance. He shaved off his beard and decided to use his personal vehicle to go to his native village,” PTI quoted the officer as saying.

“Now they (militants) will not be able to recognise me” were possibly his last words to his officer before he left for home with a smiling face as he was seeing his parents after a long time.

Mir is survived by his father and mother.

Son of a retired police officer, Mir, who was from 2010 batch of Sub-Inspector, had served in Ganderbal district for five years before being transferred to Kulgam district last year.

He was shifted to the CIK in March this year and his superiors recalled his dedication towards his work.

Militants have been targeting policemen in the state and killed two special police officer and a constable last month, triggering unrest among the lower ranks of the force with some SPOs declaring their resignation on social media.

In fact, some militants had claimed that Mir had also submitted his resignation.

When the body of Mir was being brought to Pulwama district lines by a police team from Wahibugh, it was attacked by stone pelters as government forces had launched a cordon-and-search operations in Chewa and the area where he was shot dead.

The police have also launched a probe to ascertain how the information about his journey to home had been leaked to militant groups, who had been waiting to ambush him at Wahibugh.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *