• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

HC dismisses petition challenging additional weightage to reserved category candidates

Rashid Paul by Rashid Paul
October 26, 2018
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
HC seeks details of officials involved in Handwara Water Supply scam
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar, Oct 25: A petition challenging amendment to rules that gave additional weightage to the reserved category candidates for selection for the posts of +2 lecturers was dismissed by the J&K High Court today.

The petition, by Basharat Bashir Teeli, an aggrieved candidate, had agitated a notification by the J&K Public Service Commission (PSC) that amended the Rule 51 of the Commission (Business & Procedure) 1980.

More News

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Load More

The candidates belonging to the reserved categories were required to obtain a minimum of 45 percent out of the total weightage points earmarked for assessment under the Rule for the posts.

Prior to the amendment, such candidates were required to obtain only 40 percent out of the total weightage points.

Disposing off the writ petition, Justice A M Magray said “in the outset, it is important to note that undoubtedly the amendment was made by notification dated 12.05.2016 – a date which obviously falls after the date of notification of the vacancies and closing date of submission of the online applications viz. 19.03.2016 and 25.04.2016 – but such amendment was made effective from 01.01.2016, i.e., a date much prior to the date of notification of the vacancies.

“Obviously, therefore, it cannot be said that the rules of the game were changed by the Commission when the game was being played or that the game had been played,” he added.

The written test of the candidates was conducted on 26th of June 2016 and the result was declared on 29 September 2017. In all 47 candidates qualified the written test and were called for interview. Seven candidates were selected under open merit and two candidates under Residents of Backward Category.

“The general rule is that the vacancies which exist on the date of amendment of Rules have to be filled up in accordance with the Rules as they stood prior to amendment; provided the amendment is not retrospective,” the court said referring to a judgment by the J&K High Court in Akash Kumar versus State.

It held that it is within the powers of the Commission to lay down its procedure to be followed in the conduct of the examinations in fulfillment of its constitutional duty in a manner as has a uniform application to a class or category of participants.

The amended Rule having been uniformly applied to all the participants, the petitioner cannot claim infringement of any of his rights, whatsoever, the court said.

Previous Post

Tarigami questions: Why SOP was not followed in Kulgam?

Next Post

BJP trying to conceal its failures in JK: NC

Rashid Paul

Rashid Paul

Rashid Paul is  Associate Editor at Kashmir Images. He can be reached at rashidpaul@gmail.com

Related Posts

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha completed his self-enumeration today, marking the beginning of the House listing and Housing Census...

Read moreDetails

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Infiltrating Jammu and Kashmir to execute terror attacks for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a Pakistani terrorist paused his operations...

Read moreDetails

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Union Minister Jitendra Singh on Sunday said the mainstreaming of Jammu and Kashmir under the leadership of Prime Minister...

Read moreDetails

DFCO issues advisory ahead of nationwide chemists’ bandh on May 20

Tral shuts for second day against militant killings
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Drugs and Food Control Organization on Sunday issued a public advisory ahead of the nationwide bandh call given by...

Read moreDetails

Govt withholds salaries of four ACDs over poor MGNREGA performance

AC extends Amnesty Scheme-2022 for domestic consumers of electricity till March 2025
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government has withheld the salaries of four Additional District Programme Coordinators (ADPCs)/Assistant Commissioners Development (ACDs)...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
NC accuses CM of nepotism as Madni’s son gets job in KVIB

BJP trying to conceal its failures in JK: NC

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.