Saleem Iqbal Qadri

Family of baker, who died in Hazratbal incident, appeals for financial assistance

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar, Oct 03: The family of twenty-five-year-old baker of Tangmarg who died in a tragic fire incident in Hazratbal Srinagar during the intervening night of 29-30th September is seeking financial assistance from the government.

Speaking to Kashmir Images, Gh. Hassan Teli, cousin brother of baker said, “My cousin Abdul Hamid Teli, son of Jalal-ud-din Teli, resident of Chandil Wanigam MachiKhod in Tangmarg, was working as a baker at Hazratbal near fire service department since last five years. He died while removing items from the shop and rescuing some persons from nearby house that were engulfed in fire.”

Mohammad Amin Ganaie the proprietor of baker shop told Kashmir Images that Teli was working at his shop since last 5 years. “When fire broke out in the locality he rushed to the spot and started rescuing residents and also helped fire service men in dousing the flames, but unfortunately he got seriously injured after receiving an electric shock and as a result he fell down from the house. He was shifted to Rainawari hospital for first-aid treatment and later referred to Shri Maharaja Hari Singh (SHMS) Hospital for advanced treatment where he succumbed to his injuries on the morning of 30 September.”

“We did not allow police to perform the postmortem of Teli and told them that the incident took in front of our eyes, later we submitted an affidavit at the office of Deputy Commissioner (DC) Srinagar for further proceedings and his office directed the police post Hazratbal to handover the dead body to his family for the last rites,” Ganaie added.

“Yes we received an order from Deputy Commissioner (DC) Office Srinagar in which we were directed to handover the dead body of Abdul Hamid Teli to his family for last rites. We are investigating the fire incident which broke out in the crockery shop of Nazir Ahmad Baba and later the flames spread to his house and soon after fire service officials along with the police reached the spot to douse the fire,” said Ghulam Hassan Chowki Officer at Police post Hazratbal.

“We have a registered a report for further investigation,” he added.

Abdul Hamid Teli who was staying at the rented house of Mehbooba Akhtar helped fire service men to evacuate the families from nearby houses at 2:30 am on 30th September; meanwhile he received an electric shock and received injuries in his right hand and head and then fell from the house which further aggravated his injuries, the Chowki officer told Kashmir Images.

Meanwhile, the family has appealed the higher authorities for financial assistance as they lost a lone bread earner of their family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *