• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

China says can’t hold US trade talks with ‘knife to the throat’

AFP/ PTI by AFP/ PTI
September 25, 2018
in Latest News
A A
0
Trump approves tariffs on USD 50 billion worth of Chinese goods, Beijing vows to retaliate
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Beijing, Sep 25 : China said on Tuesday it was impossible to hold trade talks with the United States while Washington is imposing tariffs that are like “holding a knife to someone’s throat”.

Speaking a day after Washington activated tariffs on 200 billion in Chinese goods, vice commerce minister Wang Shouwen said China is open to negotiations but that the two sides must treat each other “equally and with respect”.

More News

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

 Traditional ‘tongas’ gather popularity in Jammu border belt amid PM appeal to save fuel

3 drug peddlers held

Load More

“Now that the US has adopted this type of large-scale trade restrictions, they’re holding a knife to someone’s throat. Under these circumstances, how can negotiations proceed?” Wang told a news conference.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin had invited Chinese officials to hold new talks, but President Donald Trump’s latest salvo — and warnings that another 267 billion of goods are being lined up — appear to have scuttled that effort.

Wang met US officials in Washington in August but there have been no high-level meetings between the world’s top two economies for months.

He said Tuesday the US measures “have made it impossible for the negotiations to proceed” and blamed the US for abandoning a consensus on trade that was struck in May, but was quickly followed by new US tariffs.

High-ranking officials from several Chinese government agencies held a press conference on Tuesday as Beijing rolled out a new white paper claiming to set the record straight on trade related facts.

Fu Ziying, another vice minister of commerce, noted that some in the United States accuse Beijing of engaging in unfair competitive practices, causing the huge trade deficit between the two countries.

“This is totally devoid of fact, groundless, and totally misleading,” he said, adding that American firms sold 700 billion worth of goods in China each year, earning more than 500 billion in profit.

The trade fight between the top two economic giants has steadily escalated through the summer, as the US levied two waves of new tariffs that have now hit about 250 billion worth of goods, roughly half of China’s exports to the United States.

Beijing has struck back with each step, hitting 110 billion worth of US goods, or nearly everything China buys from the United States.

Experts have warned the snowballing trade spat will harm both economies and even global growth, with Fitch Ratings cutting its growth estimates for China and the world for 2019.

China’s exports to the US accounted for 19 percent of all its overseas shipments last year, according to the white paper published by China’s cabinet, the State Council, on Monday.

Officials in Beijing said they planned to step up support for harmed industries and companies as they seek to offset the trade war’s effects.

“We will actively take all types of measures to help companies resolve their difficulties,” said Luo Wen, vice minister of industry and information technology.

China will “earnestly reduce taxes and burdens for companies and strive to optimise the business environment”, he added.

Some European and American firms have already started shifting supply chains out of China, or put new investments on hold, according to industry group surveys, a potential problem for Beijing as economic growth sags.

Foreign firms said the latest round of US tariffs, hitting a wide swathe of products including electronics and furniture, would worsen their problems, according to the surveys.

Luo called the trade-related risks driving firms out of China a natural phenomenon and said Beijing would look at the situation rationally.

“We believe the vast majority of companies will remain in China and deepen their development,” he said.

Previous Post

Govt announces one month additional salary for employees on poll duty

Next Post

2 unidentified militants slain in Tujjer Sopore

AFP/ PTI

AFP/ PTI

Related Posts

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

 Traditional ‘tongas’ gather popularity in Jammu border belt amid PM appeal to save fuel

 Traditional ‘tongas’ gather popularity in Jammu border belt amid PM appeal to save fuel
May 18, 2026

R S Pura/Jammu:  Traditional horse-driven tongas, once a common mode of transport in the border areas of Jammu, are seeing...

Read moreDetails

3 drug peddlers held

May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Police have arrested three drug peddlers in Awantipora and Anantnag and recovered contraband substances from their possession. A police...

Read moreDetails

BOPEE conducts CET for GNM, ANM courses

Examination Controller is not a flying bird
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Board of Professional Entrance Examinations on Sunday conducted the Common Entrance Test (CET) for GNM and...

Read moreDetails

Police attach drug trafficker’s house in Shopian

Govt promotes 27 DySsP to Incharge Superintendents of Police
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Police in Shopian have attached a residential house constructed on six Marlas of land valued at ₹3,97,638 belonging to...

Read moreDetails

At UN, India flags concerns over targeting of vessels in Strait of Hormuz

Pakistan violated spirit of IWT by inflicting three wars, thousands of terror attacks on India: India tells UN
May 18, 2026

United Nations: Targeting commercial shipping, endangering civilian crew and impeding freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz is "unacceptable",...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Two militants gunned down in Jammu, gunfight on

2 unidentified militants slain in Tujjer Sopore

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.