Pamposh hotel building goes up in flames
Srinagar, Sep 15: A major blaze gutted Pamposh Hotel building at Regal Chowk area here on Saturday afternoon.
Eyewitnesses and employees working in the hotel said that fire broke out at 2 pm in the afternoon and continued till late in the evening.
Even as the authorities pressed 20 fire-tenders to douse the fire, the devastating blaze could not be brought under control, resulting in major damage to the building.
Four firefighters who managed their entry inside the hotel to douse flames fell unconscious due to suffocation. They were later removed to hospital for treatment.
“We saw billows of smoke emanating from attic of the hotel which consists of wood. Without wasting time we called Fire and Emergency office and informed them about the incident,” Farooq Ahmad, an employee of the hotel said.
He said fire-tenders reached the spot immediately and made all-out efforts to douse the flames. He also said that the staff and customers were safely evacuated from the hotel.
A police official said fire damaged the fifth and sixth floors completely.
Offices of some TV channels are also housed in the hotel.
When contacted Joint Director Fire and Emergency Services Kashmir, Bashir Ahmad Shah said the cause of fire could not be immediately ascertained, but the incident will be probed thoroughly.
Shah also confirmed that a firefighter suffered spinal cord injury after a heavy object fell on him during firefighting operation. He was immediately taken to the hospital where his condition is said to be stable.