Images News Netwok

Valley remains shut on second day

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

No Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid

Javed Khan of Kashmir Images captures deserted streets of Srinagar in the wake of strike on Friday.

Srinagar: A complete shutdown was observed in Kashmir for the second consecutive day today in response to a call given by Joint Resistance Leadership against the legal challenge in the Supreme Court on the validity of Article 35A of Indian constitution, which bars people from outside Jammu and Kashmir from acquiring any immovable property in the state.

Restrictions imposed by authorities in some parts of the summer capital here as a precautionary measure for maintaining law and order remained in force for the second day, officials said.

Shops, business establishments and educational institutions were closed across the valley while transport remained off the roads.

The Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) had called for a two-day strike from yesterday as Supreme Court was scheduled to hear a PIL challenging the validity of the Article 35A today.

To maintain law and order, authorities continued with the restrictions in seven police station areas of the city here, the officials said.

They said the areas where restrictions under section 144 CrPC were in place include police station Khanyar, Nowhatta, Maharajgunj, Safakadal, Rainawari, Maisuma and Kralkhud.

Reports said that Friday prayers were not allowed at historic Jamia Masjid in old town Srinagar as Mirwaiz Umar Farooq continued to be under house arrest.

The officials said security forces were deployed in strength at vulnerable places in the city and elsewhere in Kashmir for maintaining law and order.

Various organisations including Bar Association, transporters and traders’ bodies had extended support to the shutdown call of the JRL, comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik.

Protests have been held across the length and breadth of Kashmir over the past month in support of continuing Article 35-A.

However, the officials said, the situation remained peaceful across the valley.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *