• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Ishrat case: Court rejects discharge pleas of Vanzara, Amin

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
August 8, 2018
in NATION
A A
0
Delhi HC quashes notification disqualifying 20 AAP MLAs
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Ahmedabad, Aug 7:  A special CBI court here today rejected the discharge applications of former Gujarat Police officers D G Vanzara and N K Amin in the alleged fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.

While rejecting their discharge applications, special judge J K Pandya directed the CBI to clarify whether the Gujarat government had given sanction for prosecution of the two accused, as required under CrPC section 197.

More News

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

13 dead, 20 injured in Palghar tempo-trailer accident

Load More

Under section 197 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the permission of government is required to prosecute a government servant.

The court said it wants the prosecution sanction status of the two to be brought on record, and kept the matter for hearing on September 7.

Vanzara, a former deputy inspector general of police in Gujarat, had sought discharge on the ground of parity with the state’s former in-charge Director General of Police P P Pandey, who was discharged in the case in February for want of evidence against him.

Amin, who retired as the superintendent of police, sought his discharge on the ground that the encounter was genuine and that testimonies of witnesses produced by the CBI were not reliable.

The CBI has not initiated the procedure for seeking sanction to prosecute seven officers, including Vanzara and Amin, named as accused in the charge sheet.

The probing agency had earlier sought the Union government’s sanction to prosecute four Intelligence Bureau (IB) officials, whose names figured in the case’s supplementary charge sheet, which was rejected by the Centre.

Reacting to the high court’s order today, Vanzara’s lawyer V D Gajjar said, “We are happy that the court has directed the CBI to give a report on the status of government’s sanction to prosecute Vanzara.”

“Earlier, the court had discharged former in-charge DGP P P Pandey (also an accused in the case) on the ground that the CBI had not sought the government’s sanction to prosecute him. The same rule applies to us as well,” he said.

Amin, who appeared in-person, said, “We are officers who should never have been prosecuted without sanction (under CrPC section 197). There is discrimination between the IB officers and the Gujarat Police officers.”

If the sanction is not given, then the prosecution proceedings will drop, he said, adding, “we will follow the due course of law.”

The central government had in 2015 turned down the CBI’s request to grant sanction for prosecution of four IB officials who were allegedly involved in the conspiracy behind the alleged fake encounters.

The CBI had named them in the supplementary charge sheet.

The special CBI court had concluded last month the hearing of arguments of the Vanzara and Amin in their discharge pleas, as well as that of the CBI and Ishrat’s mother Shamima Kauser.

Kauser had sought to oppose the pleas of Amin and Vanzara, and told the court that her daughter was “murdered following a conspiracy between high-ranking police officers and others holding powerful and influential positions”.

She alleged that Vanzara played a “direct and key role” in the conspiracy behind the “staged encounter”.

Ishrat, a 19-year-old woman from Mumbra area of Thane district near Mumbai, and three others – Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar – were killed by the police in an “encounter” on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.

At that time, the police had claimed that the four had terror links and plotted to kill the then Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi.

Previous Post

Cartoon

Next Post

DC Srinagar takes stock of dewatering measures in city

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 19, 2026

Oslo:  India and Norway have firmed up a Green Strategic Partnership, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Norwegian counterpart...

Read moreDetails

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 18, 2026

Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh):  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday asserted that India is now "by and large" free from three...

Read moreDetails

13 dead, 20 injured in Palghar tempo-trailer accident

   Two killings/deaths in J&K, people want answers
May 18, 2026

Palghar: A tempo packed with guests heading for an engagement ceremony collided with a speeding container trailer on Monday on...

Read moreDetails

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors
May 18, 2026

The Hague: Driven by shifting global geopolitics, India and the Netherlands elevated their ties to a strategic partnership and inked...

Read moreDetails

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom
May 18, 2026

The Hague: India has flatly rejected allegations of declining media freedom and erosion of religious and minority rights, asserting that...

Read moreDetails

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

No shortage of fuel, essential supplies in India despite West Asia crisis: Rajnath Singh
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Sunday wrote to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the Great Nicobar Island Project,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
DC Srinagar takes stock of dewatering measures in city

DC Srinagar takes stock of dewatering measures in city

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.