A FP

Militant attack on Afghan govt building ends: official

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Jalalabad (Afghanistan), Jul 31: An hours-long attack on a government building in eastern Afghanistan today has ended, an official said, with at least 14 people wounded.

"Fighting is over and both attackers have been killed," said Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province.

Earlier, gunmen stormed a government building after multiple explosions in a continuing attack in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad today, an official said.

At least two blasts were heard before the attackers entered the compound of the refugees and repatriation department, said provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani.

Several international organisations are also in the vicinity.

Before the attack began representatives of foreign donors and organisations were meeting  department employees inside the building, Khogyani said.

Khogyani said a "large number" of employees had been rescued but it was not clear how many people were still inside.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *