Majid Kapra

Unknown persons damage vehicles in Press Enclave

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar, July 26: Panic gripped Press Enclave which houses several media organizations at Residency Road here after mysterious elements damaged vehicles belonging to journalists late last night.

The incident that created fear among already perturbed media fraternity occurred barely six weeks after the ghastly murder of prominent journalist and Chief Editor Rising Kashmir, Syed Shujaat Bukhari along with his two bodyguards at Press Enclave last month.

Reports about damaging vehicles started making rounds on social media sites including facebook, Whatapp and Instgram since morning with netizens blaming authorities for security lapse at vulnerable Press Enclave.

Incident according to reports took place last night at 12am after some unscrupulous elements with intensions to trigger fear and chaos smashed rear window shields besides breaking locks to manage their entries inside the vehicles.

The vehicles that suffered losses including SUV bearing registration number JK01J- 3767 which belongs to a senior freelance journalist, Altaf Hussain and a sedan car bearing number JK01AG-4027.

Both the cars were parked near Press Information Bureau (PIB) office which also houses a paramilitary bunker. However the assailants who struck press Enclave during dead of the night go unseen.

“The incident took place six weeks after Shujaat Bukhari was murdered and I think the act was aimed at instilling fear among the journalists working and living in Press Enclave. This is major security breach which demands explanation from the authorities concerned,” said Altaf Hussain whose car was damaged.

He said despite breaking locks of the vehicles and their windshields, the assailants had not stolen anything which clearly indicated that the act was intentional to create chaos and confusion.

When contacted Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Kothibagh, Imran Farooq said he knows nothing about the incident as he has been in New Delhi over the past one week.

“I just came across the news through internet, I have been in Delhi over the past one week hence I cannot say anything about the incident,” said the SDPO, however Senior Superintendent of Police SSP Srinagar, Imtiyaz Ismail Parray said investigation was set into motion after taking cognizance of the issue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *