KI News

Cop abducted last night, murdered in Kulgam

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Militants attack CRPF, Army in Anantnag, Kulgam

Srinagar, Jul 21: A police constable who was abducted by militants late last night was found dead today in Qaimoh area of south Kashmir’s Kulgam district.

The body of Mohammad Saleem Shah, son of Abdul Gani Shah was recovered from a nursery near village Redwani Payeen in the jurisdiction of Police Station Wanpoh today afternoon, a police spokesman said.

He said the body bore severe torture marks indicating that he was brutally tortured to death.

Reports said a group of gunmen barged inside his home at Mutalhama village late last night and abducted him.

Saleem had joined the police in 2016 and after completing his basic training, he was posted to DPL Pulwama, spokesman said, adding that he is survived by aged parents, two brothers and one unmarried sister.

“The martyred cop was the lone breadearner for his family and the only hope for his aged parents,” police spokesman said.

“The initial investigation into the matter has indicated it as handiwork of proscribed terror outfit HM. We condemn such gruesome terror act and assure that the culprits shall be brought to justice,” police spokesman said.

This is the second incident of a policeman being killed in south Kashmir this month.

Earlier, on July 05, constable Javaid Ahmad Dar who was also at home on leave was abducted from Vehil, Shopian. His body was found near a stream by villagers in Pariwan, Kulgam next day.

Meanwhile, militants today opened fire on security forces at two places in Anantnag and Kulgam districts of south Kashmir, police said.

In the first attack, the militants fired upon Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) men deployed on Khanabal-Pahalgam road at Bumzoo in Mattan area of the district.

They said that two CRPF personnel were injured.  However, SP Anantnag denied the reports of injuries. “Nobody was injured in the attack,” he said.

He said that CRPF personnel retaliated, triggering a brief exchange of fire.

Following the attack, the area was cordoned off to nab the attackers.

In the second incident, the militants attacked a patrolling party of the Army in Qaimoh village of Kulgam district.

Reports said that the militants fired upon a patrolling party of Army’s 1 RR in Hawoora village of Qaimoh. However, there was no report of injuries.

An official said that the area has been cordoned off to nab the attackers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *