Images News Netwok

Restrictions in parts of Kashmir today

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Burhan Wani Death Anniversary:

Photo/Javed Khan

Srinagar, Jul 07: Authorities have decided to impose restrictions in parts of Kashmir Sunday as a “precautionary measure to maintain law and order” on the occasion of the second death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

Restrictions remained imposed in Tral township, in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, and in the Nowhatta and Maisuma police station areas of Srinagar  on Saturday as well with authorities saying that the curbs were imposed as a “precautionary measure to maintain law and order and to avoid any untoward incident”.

Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani, a resident of Tral, was killed in an encounter with government forces in the Bumdoora village of Kokernag area of south Kashmir’s Anantnag district on July 08, 2016.

His killing triggered massive protests and prolonged period of curfews and shutdowns across the Valley, leaving nearly 100 civilians dead and thousand others were injured in clashes between government forces and protesters over four months.

The district administration has also decided to impose restrictions in parts of Srinagar city on Sunday in view of second death anniversary of Wani.

An official in the district administration said that restrictions would be imposed in areas falling under the jurisdiction of Khanyar, Nowhatta, Safa Kadal, Maharaj Gunj, Rainawari, Kralkhud and Maisuma police stations.

He, however, said that partial restrictions would be imposed in Maisuma and Kralkhud police station areas.

The official also informed that the roll number slips and admit cards of the candidates scheduled to appear for different exams on Sunday will be treated as curfew passes.

Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik have called for complete shutdown across the Valley on Sunday.

JRL had also called for strike today against the shifting of Asiya Andrabi, the chief of Dukhtaran-e-Millat (DeM), and her two colleagues to Delhi by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).

Geelani, Mirwaiz and Malik had appealed to the people to “observe a complete shutdown and maintain civil curfew”. However, their call evoked only mixed response today.

Pertinently, ahead of Wani’s death anniversary, the police had yesterday detained Malik in a police station here, while Mirwaiz was put under house arrest. Geelani also continues to remain under house detention.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *