• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, May 23, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Rajapaksa dismisses allegations of Chinese funding in polls

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 2, 2018
in WORLD
A A
0
Rajapaksa dismisses allegations of Chinese funding in polls
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Colombo, Jul 1 : Sri Lanka’s former president Mahinda Rajapaksa today dismissed a media report that claimed China had funded his unsuccessful 2015 presidential re-run.

“No contribution was made by China to my 2015 presidential election campaign,” Rajapaksa said, breaking his silence on the issue.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

“While claiming that my ‘affiliates’ and ‘campaign aides’ had got the money and that volunteers’ had delivered the cheques to Temple Trees, the writerhas been intentionally vague about who had given this money and who had received it,” the former president said in a statement.

“This seems to be a way of carrying out a smear campaign without incurring any liability,” he added.

A New York Times report last week claimed that USD 7.6 million was dispensed from a Chinese firm for his campaign.

Rajapaksa also dismissed the NYT claim that India was apprehensive about his Chinese connections and India was concerned about any Chinese attempt to use the Hambantota port for military purposes.

He said former Indian National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon had written in his 2016 book that India was comfortable with the security assurances made by his brother Gotabhaya Rajapaksa as the defence secretary.

He said India had been given assurances about the nature of Sri Lanka’s relations with China. “Such assurances given by Sri Lanka to the then Congress Party government were respected throughout,” Rajapaksa added.

Meawhile, the Sunday Times today said that the police’s Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) has asked the police chief’s sanction to investigate the NYT claim.

The Chinese embassy in Colombo in a statement while stopping short of denying the story said the NYT article was “full of political prejudice and completely inconsistent with the fact”.

China will continue to “promote the pragmatic cooperation under the framework of the Belt and Road initiatives” for the betterment of the two countries, it said.

The ruling United National Party, the dominant partner in the national unity government, last week called for setting up of a presidential commission to probe the NYT claim.

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s United National Party (UNP) said that the veracity of the story must be verified and details bared.

Rajapaksa’s son earlier said that the report had many inaccuracies. Several of Rajapaksa loyalists have termed the story as fake.

Previous Post

Will Modi accept his ‘failure’ in bringing back black money, asks Mayawati

Next Post

PDP BJP hegemony responsible for the mess in J&K: Taj

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
PDP BJP hegemony responsible for the mess in J&K: Taj

PDP BJP hegemony responsible for the mess in J&K: Taj

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.