• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Bukhari’s Murder: NHRC sends notice to JK CS & DGP

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
June 26, 2018
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Bukhari’s Murder: NHRC sends notice to JK CS & DGP
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

 New Delhi, Jun 26:  The NHRC today sent a notice to Jammu and Kashmir chief secretary and the state’s police chief in connection with the killing of Rising Kashmir editor Shujaat Bukhari, and said the incident was causing “serious threat” to free speech and freedom of press in the state.

The National Human Rights Commission said it had taken suo motu cognisance of an appeal via press by SAMDEN, a network of editors and media practitioners, which had urged the NHRC and the Jammu and Kashmir State Human Rights Commission to push for a swift probe into the case.

More News

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Load More

Bukhari and his two PSOs were shot dead by gunmen outside the newspaper’s office in the heart of Srinagar on June 14. He was shot dead soon after he boarded his car from his office in the Press Enclave at Lal Chowk.

“Looking into the gravity of the matter, the commission has issued a notice to the chief secretary and the director general of police of Jammu and Kashmir, calling for a detailed report in the matter,” the NHRC said in a statement.

“The state government is also expected to provide details of the attacks made on mediapersons during the last two years, along with number of persons who have died or been injured, and status of relief and rehabilitation provided to victims and their families,” the rights panel said.

The commission said it would also like to know as to what “special measures have been taken by the state government to stop such incidents” and added that the response was expected within four weeks.

The NHRC had observed that in view of special provisions of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, in connection with Jammu and Kashmir, “it generally does not intervene into the matters relatable to entries enumerated in the List II (State List) mentioned under Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India”.

In such cases, it was for the State Human Rights Commission to take cognisance of the complaints regarding alleged violation of human rights in the state”.

However, it further observed that “it is learnt that the State Human Rights Commission is closed for summer vacations till June 30, and till date, cognisance of this case has not been taken by them”.

The deceased journalist had been under police protection from the the year 2000.

“The way Shujaat Bukhari had been killed by the miscreants indicates that mediapersons, even those who have been provided police protection by the state government, are not safe in the Valley. This is a case of violation of right to life of the victim, and the incident is causing serious threat to free speech and freedom of press in the state,” the Commission said.

The Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) on Friday had said that it had sent a letter to the National Human Rights Commission chairperson Justice (Retired) HL Dattu, urging the NHRC to push for swift investigation into the case.

Copies of the letter were also sent to the SHRC, as well as to David Kaye, UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Opinion and Expression, the CHRI had said in a statement.

South Asia Media Defenders Network (SAMDEN) is an informal association of independent editors and media practitioners, anchored in CHRI.

Previous Post

Army officer dies in accidental fire in Anantnag

Next Post

TERROR FUNDING: Govt likely to go after Kashmiri separatists: Officials

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha completed his self-enumeration today, marking the beginning of the House listing and Housing Census...

Read moreDetails

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Infiltrating Jammu and Kashmir to execute terror attacks for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a Pakistani terrorist paused his operations...

Read moreDetails

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Union Minister Jitendra Singh on Sunday said the mainstreaming of Jammu and Kashmir under the leadership of Prime Minister...

Read moreDetails

DFCO issues advisory ahead of nationwide chemists’ bandh on May 20

Tral shuts for second day against militant killings
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Drugs and Food Control Organization on Sunday issued a public advisory ahead of the nationwide bandh call given by...

Read moreDetails

Govt withholds salaries of four ACDs over poor MGNREGA performance

AC extends Amnesty Scheme-2022 for domestic consumers of electricity till March 2025
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government has withheld the salaries of four Additional District Programme Coordinators (ADPCs)/Assistant Commissioners Development (ACDs)...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Saloora, Wani join PDP along with hundreds of supporters

TERROR FUNDING: Govt likely to go after Kashmiri separatists: Officials

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.