• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Attack on Ahsan Iqbal result of appeasing Faizabad protesters, says Nawaz

Agencies by Agencies
May 8, 2018
in NATION
A A
0
Attack on Ahsan Iqbal result of appeasing Faizabad protesters, says Nawaz
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Islamabad, May 07: A day after Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal was attacked by a suspect believed to be affiliated with the Tehreek-i-Labbaik, ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif insinuated that the state had emboldened the attacker to execute his plans.

A video showing the distribution of money to protesters after the Faizabad sit-in was called off.

More News

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

Load More

Blaming the incident on the state’s capitulation to Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) following the Faizabad sit-in and subsequent standoff with security forces in Islamabad last year, Sharif said: “This is the result of the distribution of Rs1,000 to the protesters. If the protesters had not been given Rs1,000 each, perhaps this day would not have come.”

He was referring to the infamous incident, also captured on video, when representatives of the armed forces had handed out Rs1,000 cheques to protesters as the latter dispersed following the November 2017 dharna spearheaded by the TLP.

The TLP had protested for more than 20 days at Islamabad’s Faizabad Interchange last November to have changes made to the Khatm-i-Nabuwwat oath in the Elections Act 2017 reversed.

The agitation had ended after a botched showdown with security forces forced the state to capitulate.

The state had conceded to nearly all of the TLP’s demands — including the dropping of all cases against the protesters, who had at times turned violent and destroyed public property.

The army had played mediator between both parties, and the army chief was thanked in writing for the “special efforts” that led to the agreement.

After the ‘surrender’, Interior Minister Iqbal had said that “Civil & military leadership acted collectively [to] save the country from [the] threat of religion based violence. We must heal wounds [to] unite nation,” in a tweet on November 28, 2017.

However, contradicting the interior minister on the same day, TLP chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi had stated that it was the army which ensured the government met the protesters’ terms.

“We told them [the government] that we cannot talk to you,” Rizvi had told Samaa TV on November 28, 2017. “Then the army came in the middle and our companions met with army and ISI [Inter-Services Intelligence] bigwigs, generals etc.”

“They told us they will get all of our demands accepted,” Rizvi had said in a startling revelation.

Rizvi said that his team never met the interior minister — whose signatures were present on the agreement — and it “must have been” the army leadership which got Iqbal to sign the document.

“I would like to know — and not just I, but many people would like to know — why the money was distributed, and with what motive? This question remains, and one day the reality will come to light. If this matter can be resolved now, then it should be resolved now,” Nawaz Sharif said today.

While referring to an ongoing case in the Islamabad High Court concerning the Faizabad sit-in, Sharif also pointed out that Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui had “asked relevant questions [from the state, about the protests], to which there was no response”.

Justice Siddiqui had previously questioned the army’s involvement in and the legal standing of the Faizabad agreement, saying that none of its terms could be legally justified.

“Similarly, no one responded to questions raised by [Supreme Court] Justice Qazi Faez Isa,” Sharif added. Justice Isa had previously asked who had backed the sit-in while lashing out at security agencies for “failing to produce a new report” in court after a previous report on the fiasco was found unsatisfactory.

Separately, the leader of the House in the Senate, Raja Zafarul Haq, described the assassination attempt on Ahsan Iqbal as a “failed attempt to restrict political activity”.

“The culture of intolerance in this country must be discouraged,” he asserted. “Extremism should not harm the political process, and all schools of thought must come together to condemn these acts of terror.”

“We will need to take organised steps to curb this culture of intolerance. All political parties are united in creating a favourable political environment for timely elections and the continuation of the democratic process,” he added.

“The entire nation is strongly opposed to extremism and intolerance.”

Informing the Senate about Iqbal’s condition, Haq said that a bullet was still inside his body.

Leader of the Opposition in Senate Sherry Rehman condemned the incident on the floor of the house and said that the incident was a message for politicians and an environment of fear is being created. She vowed that the political forces would fight the situation and would not allow for more acts like this.

“It would be incorrect to call the incident an accident,” PPP Senator Raza Rabbani said, adding that the fall-backs of the incident need to be analysed.

“This is the result of attempts to mainstream banned organisations,” he said, adding that the situation is being worsened so that the elections can be postponed.

Meanwhile Senator Rehman Malik requested the chief justice to review his decision of taking back security provided to the Senators, adding that the attack on Iqbal was an eye opener.

Previous Post

National Conference delegation meets Governor

Next Post

Karl Marx, 200 years later

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors
May 18, 2026

The Hague: Driven by shifting global geopolitics, India and the Netherlands elevated their ties to a strategic partnership and inked...

Read moreDetails

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom
May 18, 2026

The Hague: India has flatly rejected allegations of declining media freedom and erosion of religious and minority rights, asserting that...

Read moreDetails

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

No shortage of fuel, essential supplies in India despite West Asia crisis: Rajnath Singh
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Sunday wrote to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the Great Nicobar Island Project,...

Read moreDetails

India’s aspirations ‘no longer limited to its borders’: Modi to diaspora in Netherlands

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 17, 2026

The Hague:  Terming India a "land of opportunities", Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Saturday that the country is undergoing...

Read moreDetails

CPI(M) decries verdict in Bhojshala-Kamal Maula Mosque case, terms it matter of ‘grave’ concern

Poll result setback for BJP, INDIA bloc needs to be wary of Hindutva authoritarianism: CPI(M)
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: The Communist Party of India (Marxist) on Saturday termed the recent Madhya Pradesh High Court judgment in the...

Read moreDetails

NEET paper leak: Delhi court sends kingpin Kulkarni, accused Waghmare to 10-day CBI custody

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
May 17, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Saturday sent the alleged kingpin in the NEET paper leak case, P V Kulkarni,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Karl Marx, 200 years later

Karl Marx, 200 years later

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.