• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

More monuments coming under  ‘adopt a heritage’ for private players: Tourism min

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
May 3, 2018
in NATION
A A
0
More monuments coming under  ‘adopt a heritage’ for private players: Tourism min
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi, May 2 (PTI)  Notwithstanding criticism over the government’s decision to give Red Fort to a corporate for upkeep, Tourism Minister K J Alphons today insisted that his ministry will expand the “adopt a heritage site” project to put more monuments under private care.

The minister also attacked the Congress for opposing the initiative, saying the opposition party has a “poor memory” and they are forgetting that they had also engaged a private player to maintain and operate the iconic Humayun Tomb.

More News

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

Load More

Alphons told PTI that he was not worried about the controversy over the adoption of the Red Fort by the Dalmia Bharat Group and rejected reports that that the 17th century monument was being ‘handed over’ for Rs 25 crore to the corporate house under the ‘adopt a heritage’ scheme.

“It is an executive decision taken by the government to sign the MoU. No changes to the present project will be done. We will only expand the project to include more such sites and monuments,” Alphons said.

Explaining the ‘adopt a heritage’ project , the minister said its aim is to entrust heritage sites and monuments and other tourist sites to private sector companies, public sector companies and individuals for the development of tourist amenities.

Alphons said that during the UPA rule, Humayun’s Tomb was given to the Agha Khan Foundation for maintenance and operation, while the Indian Hotels Company was given the responsibility of the Taj Mahal, and Apeejay Group of Hotels for Jantar Mantar under corporate social responsibility through the government’s National Culture Fund (NCF).

“The Congress suffers from poor memory… and the UPA had given five monuments to private bodies. It was a great experiment, but it had some issues. We have repackaged the initiative and making sure it works,” he said.

The minister also emphasised that under the new scheme the corporates have to spend money and the government will not give any funds. “Here all they get is some branding, and for that too, they will need our approval.”

A controversy broke out last week when cement manufacturing company, Dalmia Bharat Group signed an MOU with the tourism ministry for the upkeep of Red Fort at a cost of Rs 25 crore over five years.

Opposition parties, including the Congress said that the government was ‘handing over’ the symbol of India’s independence to private parties.

Meanwhile, TMC MP Derek O’Brien refuted reports that the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Tourism, headed by him has approved the tourism ministry’s proposal to go ahead with a “corporate adoption” of the Red Fort.

“Our leader (TMC chief) Mamata Banerjee had earlier tweeted and said that the government must put a stop to its decision of allowing private companies to adopt the Red Fort. The TMC wants immediate scrapping of the decision,” the TMC leader told PTI.

According to the tourism ministry officials, the ‘adopt a heritage site’ project would begin with 93 ASI ticketed monuments and would be expanded to other natural and cultural sites across India.

“The problem is that they (opposition parties) do not read. They are hugely misinformed. It is very clear from the MoU that the corporates will not touch the monuments. They will only provide and maintain basic amenities around the site so that we can increase footfalls,” the minister said.

The minister added that “everyone talks about our 5000 year old heritage, but no one will lift a finger to preserve it.

“This is our way of getting the community involved, of telling them to own their heritage. There is nothing wrong in letting corporates do their bit under CSR,” he said.

Previous Post

56 kg of poppy seized in JK; 2 arrested

Next Post

Yasin Malik visits SMHS, meets recent pellet, bullet victims 

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors
May 18, 2026

The Hague: Driven by shifting global geopolitics, India and the Netherlands elevated their ties to a strategic partnership and inked...

Read moreDetails

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom
May 18, 2026

The Hague: India has flatly rejected allegations of declining media freedom and erosion of religious and minority rights, asserting that...

Read moreDetails

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

No shortage of fuel, essential supplies in India despite West Asia crisis: Rajnath Singh
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Sunday wrote to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the Great Nicobar Island Project,...

Read moreDetails

India’s aspirations ‘no longer limited to its borders’: Modi to diaspora in Netherlands

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 17, 2026

The Hague:  Terming India a "land of opportunities", Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Saturday that the country is undergoing...

Read moreDetails

CPI(M) decries verdict in Bhojshala-Kamal Maula Mosque case, terms it matter of ‘grave’ concern

Poll result setback for BJP, INDIA bloc needs to be wary of Hindutva authoritarianism: CPI(M)
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: The Communist Party of India (Marxist) on Saturday termed the recent Madhya Pradesh High Court judgment in the...

Read moreDetails

NEET paper leak: Delhi court sends kingpin Kulkarni, accused Waghmare to 10-day CBI custody

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
May 17, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Saturday sent the alleged kingpin in the NEET paper leak case, P V Kulkarni,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
JKLF chief released from Central jail

Yasin Malik visits SMHS, meets recent pellet, bullet victims 

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.