• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Statements by ‘Alpha’, ‘Charlie’, ‘Gama’ hold key in funding case

Sumir Kaul by Sumir Kaul
March 26, 2018
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Statements by ‘Alpha’, ‘Charlie’, ‘Gama’ hold key in funding case
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi, Mar 25  Confessional statements by ‘Charlie’, ‘Romeo’, ‘Alpha’ and five others are expected to be key evidence in the charge sheet filed in a court by the National Investigation Agency against 12 people, including Lashker-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeed, for “funding anti-national activities” in the Kashmir Valley.

The NIA, while submitting the charge-sheet in the case on January 18 this year, appended the eight confessional statements and code named those who have given the statements as ‘Charlie’, ‘Romeo’, ‘Alpha’, ‘Potter’, ‘Pie’, ‘Harry’, ‘Gama’ and an unidentified person.

More News

Cresent sighted, Ramzan begins today

Ramzan brings festive bustling to markets in Kashmir

J&K’s debt at Rs 1.37 lakh cr for FY25 to be offset by increased GSDP: CM Abdullah

Load More

The NIA officials feel that the confessional statements will hold the key in nailing the culprits in the case.

The probe agency, which registered a case against separatists in the Kashmir Valley on May 30 last year, says it managed to secure “confessional statements on the flow of money, especially from Pakistan, from eight people” accused in the case related to the “funding of terror activities” in Kashmir.

A confessional statement is recorded before a judicial magistrate. The accused confirms in it that he or she is giving a statement without any pressure from the probe agency.

The entire process was video-graphed and no investigation officer was present in the court premises during the proceedings when the accused gave their statements before a magistrate last year. In case of retraction later, the agency can file a case of perjury.

The statements, made before a judicial magistrate, are aimed at tightening the case against separatists “who funded stone-pelters and spread unrest in the Valley,” the officials said.

The host of witnesses listed by the NIA in its charge-sheet included Naim-ul-Zaffar Geelani, son of separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, and Yasir Gaffar Shah, son of arrested businessman Zahoor Ahmed Shah Watali.

While Naim-ul-Zaffar Geelani has given a four-page recorded statement, Yasir Gaffar Shah has recorded an eight-page statement with the NIA. Both have been named as prosecution witnesses.

The probe agency, which arrested 10 people in connection with the case, filed a charge-sheet against 12, including Saeed and Hizbul Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin, who are both in Pakistan.

The charge-sheet also names 42 protected witnesses in its list of 232 people who would be examined during the proceedings. The witnesses have been protected under section 43(3) of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act under which the name and address of the person is not mentioned during the court proceedings.

The 42 protected witnesses are also covered under section 17 of NIA Act which provides that the proceedings shall be held ‘in-camera’.

Among those arrested by the NIA included Altaf Ahmed Shah, the son-in-law of Geelani, Watali, Geelani’s close aides Ayaz Akbar, who is also spokesperson of the Hurriyat-G, Peer Saifullah, Shahid-ul-Islam, spokesperson of the Hurriyat-M, Mehrajuddin Kalwal, Nayeem Khan, Farooq Ahmed Dar alias ‘Bitta Karate’, photo-journalist Kamran Yusuf and Javed Ahmed Bhat.

The NIA had registered a case on May 30 against the separatist and secessionist leaders, including unknown members of the Hurriyat Conference, who it said “have been acting in connivance with active militants” of proscribed organisations Hizbul Mujahideen, Dukhtaran-e-Millat, Lashkar-e-Taiba and other outfits and gangs, officials said.

The case was registered for “raising, receiving and collecting funds through various illegal means, including hawala, for funding separatist and terrorist activities in Jammu and Kashmir and for causing disruption in the Valley by way of pelting stones on the security forces, burning schools, damaging public property and waging war against India,” the probe agency had said in the FIR.

The FIR had also named organisations such as the two factions of the Hurriyat Conference, one led by Geelani and the other Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, the Hizbul Mujahideen and the Dukhtaran-e-Millat, an all-women outfit of the separatists.

Kamran Yusuf and Bhat were released on bail last week by a special court.

PTI

Previous Post

Kud girl leads hunger strike for toilets; felicitated

Next Post

Another Kashmiri held by NIA granted bail by Delhi court

Sumir Kaul

Sumir Kaul

Related Posts

Cresent sighted, Ramzan begins today

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
February 19, 2026

Srinagar: Ramzan fasts will begin on Thursday in Jammu and Kashmir and the rest of the country as the crescent...

Read moreDetails

Ramzan brings festive bustling to markets in Kashmir

Ramzan brings festive bustling to markets in Kashmir
February 19, 2026

Srinagar:  The hustle and bustle of Ramzan shopping reached its peak in Kashmir Wednesday with markets across the Valley bustling...

Read moreDetails

J&K’s debt at Rs 1.37 lakh cr for FY25 to be offset by increased GSDP: CM Abdullah

J&K’s debt at Rs 1.37 lakh cr for FY25 to be offset by increased GSDP: CM Abdullah
February 19, 2026

Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir's total debt in the financial year 2024-25 is estimated at Rs 1,37,067 crore, 48 percent of...

Read moreDetails

LG lays foundation stone of Shankaracharya Temple in Katra

LG lays foundation stone of Shankaracharya Temple in Katra
February 19, 2026

Jammu: Conceived in 1967, the foundation stone of Adi Shankaracharya Temple at Katra was laid today at Katra by the...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha increases annual procurement to Rs 12 crore for Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine from SHGs

LG Sinha increases annual procurement to Rs 12 crore for Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine from SHGs
February 19, 2026

Jammu:  Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Wednesday announced enhancement of the annual procurement of Puja Samagri and...

Read moreDetails

43 CRPF temporary operating bases set up in J&K post Pahalgam attack: Officials

Over 2,000 CRPF personnel being deployed in Rajouri, Poonch
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  The CRPF has created 43 temporary operating bases in the higher reaches of Jammu and Kashmir in the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
NIA raids Srinagar central jail

Another Kashmiri held by NIA granted bail by Delhi court

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.