• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

HC seeks CBI, AAP govt reply on Shahabuddin’s solitary confinement

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 22, 2018
in NATION
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi, Mar 21: The Delhi High Court today sought responses from the CBI and the AAP government on controversial RJD leader Mohammad Shahabuddin’s plea alleging that he has been kept in solitary confinement at Tihar Jail here since February last year against the law and without any court order.

The apex court on February 15 last year had ordered the shifting of Shahabuddin, now

More News

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

Load More

facing trial in 45 criminal cases, from Siwan Jail in Bihar to the Tihar Jail, saying an accused cannot be allowed to “jettison the basic fundamentals of trial”. Following the  direction, Shahabuddin was transferred to Tihar Jail on February 19, 2017.

A habeas corpus plea filed on behalf of the RJD strongman urged a bench of justices Vipin Sanghi and P S Teji that the authorities be directed to produce Shahabuddin, currently lodged in central jail no. 2 of Tihar, before the high court.  It has also sought appropriate orders for his safety.

Taking note of the claims made in the petition, the bench directed the authorities to file their response by April 27 to the RJD leader’s plea seeking his immediate removal from “solitary confinement”.

The apex court had last year shifted Shahabuddin to Tihar Jail on the pleas filed by Asha Ranjan, the widow of slain Siwan-based journalist Rajdeo Ranjan, and Chandrakeshwar Prasad, whose three sons were killed in two separate incidents.

Advocate Rudro Chatterjee, who filed the plea on behalf of Shahabuddin, said his client was lodged in a “dingy and damp isolated cell without any proper source of natural light and air” in the high security ward of the Tihar prisons complex.

“The cell has an attached courtyard of similar size where he is let out on occasions, as per the whims and fancies of the respondents (Tihar jail and CBI). Otherwise, he does not even get access to natural light for days on end,” the lawyer claimed.

Shahabuddin has alleged in his plea that he has been kept in solitary confinement without being ordered by any court. “Further, he has already been kept in such confinement for more than one year at a stretch, which could not have been sanctioned even as per the statute,” his plea has said.

It said that he has also been denied canteen facilities, more specifically provision of eggs and milk, even though these were prescribed by the doctor at the time of his admission into the jail.

“Such denial of essential nutrients has further damaged the health of the petitioner. He has lost 15 kg weight since his transfer to Tihar because of provision of unhealthy and unwholesome food to him,” the plea said, adding that these actions clearly establish that a “deliberate” attempt is being made by the authorities to “torture and dehumanise” him.

In such circumstances, “the possibility of major physical and/or mental medical conditions soon inflicting the petitioner cannot be ruled out,” it said.

The plea said that even otherwise, solitary confinement can only be for a maximum period of 14 days at a stretch after which the prisoner ought to be taken out of such confinement.

“Further, the total quantum of imprisonment to be spent in solitary confinement cannot exceed three months in all, under any provision of any law. In the present case, the petitioner has already been solitarily confined for more than one year, without even a judicial order to that effect.

“Such a patently illegal and unconstitutional action cannot be permitted to continue and the petitioner ought to be forthwith taken out of solitary confinement,” the plea said.

Previous Post

Safapora, SSC Sopore register victories

Next Post

Travel, hospitality sector fast adopting digital technology

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors
May 18, 2026

The Hague: Driven by shifting global geopolitics, India and the Netherlands elevated their ties to a strategic partnership and inked...

Read moreDetails

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom
May 18, 2026

The Hague: India has flatly rejected allegations of declining media freedom and erosion of religious and minority rights, asserting that...

Read moreDetails

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

No shortage of fuel, essential supplies in India despite West Asia crisis: Rajnath Singh
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Sunday wrote to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the Great Nicobar Island Project,...

Read moreDetails

India’s aspirations ‘no longer limited to its borders’: Modi to diaspora in Netherlands

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 17, 2026

The Hague:  Terming India a "land of opportunities", Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Saturday that the country is undergoing...

Read moreDetails

CPI(M) decries verdict in Bhojshala-Kamal Maula Mosque case, terms it matter of ‘grave’ concern

Poll result setback for BJP, INDIA bloc needs to be wary of Hindutva authoritarianism: CPI(M)
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: The Communist Party of India (Marxist) on Saturday termed the recent Madhya Pradesh High Court judgment in the...

Read moreDetails

NEET paper leak: Delhi court sends kingpin Kulkarni, accused Waghmare to 10-day CBI custody

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
May 17, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Saturday sent the alleged kingpin in the NEET paper leak case, P V Kulkarni,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Travel, hospitality sector fast adopting digital technology

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.