• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Four more Saudi women activists freed pending trial

AFP/ PTI by AFP/ PTI
May 4, 2019
in WORLD
A A
0
Saloora, Wani join PDP along with hundreds of supporters
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Riyadh, May 3:  Saudi Arabia on Thursday released at least four more detained women activists pending trial, campaigners said, bringing the total number of women provisionally freed to seven.

They are among 11 activists, some of whom have accused interrogators of sexual abuse and torture during nearly a year in custody, who are standing trial over charges that include contact with foreign media, diplomats and human rights groups.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

“Hatoon al-Fassi, Amal al-Harbi, Maysaa al-Manea, and Abeer Namankani were temporarily released,” London-based rights group ALQST said on Twitter.

A Saudi lawyer with access to the trial in Riyadh’s criminal court separately confirmed the release of the four women.

ALQST added there were unconfirmed reports about the release of a fifth woman, university student Shadan al-Anezi.

Families of at least two other women had been summoned to court at short notice, raising their hopes of bail but they were turned away without any explanation, another campaigner told AFP.

There was no immediate comment from Saudi authorities.

Three other women on trial — activist Aziza al-Yousef, blogger Eman al-Nafjan and preacher Rokaya al-Mohareb — were granted temporary release in late March.

Riyadh has faced pressure from Western governments to release the women, most of whom were detained last summer in a wide-ranging crackdown against activists just before the historic lifting of a decades-long ban on female motorists.

But last month, Saudi Arabia mounted a fresh crackdown that sent shock waves through the kingdom.

Authorities arrested at least nine writers and academics, including two US citizens, in what appeared to be a targeted crackdown on supporters of the women activists on trial, campaigners said.

The son of freed activist Aziza, Salah al-Haidar, is among the two Americans detained.

It marked the first major crackdown since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last October, which sparked unprecedented international scrutiny of the kingdom’s human rights record.

The siblings of activist Loujain al-Hathloul — one of the prominent detainees who was not among those freed on Thursday — have said they were being pressured by people close to the Saudi state to stay silent over her treatment in detention.

Hathloul was among the women who claimed to be tortured and sexually harassed in detention.

At one emotionally charged hearing during the ongoing trial, which began in March, some women broke down as they accused interrogators of subjecting them to electric shocks, flogging and groping in detention, two people with access to the trial told AFP.

Saudi prosecutors roundly rejected the accusation in court.

The detentions and trial underscore what liberal activists call increasing repression and authoritarianism under Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s de facto rule as he consolidates his grip on power.

“The case of the Saudi women activists underlines the dramatic changes underway in Saudi Arabia,” said Kristin Diwan, of the Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington.

“The consolidation of authority has eliminated the limited space that once existed for liberal social activists.” Saudi officials have repeatedly accused the women of links to foreign intelligence agencies, while state-backed media branded them traitors and “agents of embassies”.

But their charge sheets make no mention of contact with foreign spies, say campaigners who have reviewed the documents.

It was unclear when the next hearing in the high-profile trial, which Western diplomats and journalists are barred from attending, will be held.

Previous Post

NC-Cong ‘Chief Architects’ of erosion of J&K’s special status: Vakil

Next Post

Cong cause of poverty, Rahul can’t end it, claims Gadkari

AFP/ PTI

AFP/ PTI

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
My departments gave employment to 1 crore youths: Gadkari

Cong cause of poverty, Rahul can't end it, claims Gadkari

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.