• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Europe launches sanctions-busting Iran payment vehicle

AFP/ PTI by AFP/ PTI
February 2, 2019
in WORLD
A A
0
Europe launches sanctions-busting Iran payment vehicle
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Bucharest, Jan 31 : Britain, France and Germany on Thursday launched a trade mechanism to bypass US sanctions on Iran, drawing praise from Tehran — and a warning from Washington.

Brussels hopes the long-awaited special payment system will help save the Iran nuclear deal by allowing Tehran to keep trading with EU companies despite Washington reimposing sanctions after President Donald Trump abruptly quit the accord last year.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

The three countries — the European signatories to the 2015 deal that curbed Tehran’s nuclear ambitions in return for sanctions relief — launched the device, which has been in preparation for months, at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Bucharest.

Iran cautiously welcomed the news as a “first step” but US officials dismissed the idea that the new entity would have any impact on efforts to exert economic pressure on Tehran, and fired a fresh warning at anyone thinking of trading with the Islamic republic.

While the new institution, called INSTEX — short for Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges — is a project of the three governments, it will receive the formal endorsement of all 28 EU members.

The company was registered in Paris on Tuesday with an initial 3,000 euros in capital and a supervisory board with members from France and Germany, and chaired by a Briton.

“INSTEX will support legitimate European trade with Iran, focusing initially on the sectors most essential to the Iranian population — such as pharmaceutical, medical devices and agri-food goods,” the foreign ministers of Britain, Germany and France — Jeremy Hunt, Heiko Maas and Jean-Yves Le Drian — said in a joint statement.

In the longer term, INSTEX aims to be open to third countries wanting to trade with Iran, the statement said — an ambition unlikely to please Washington.

Iran’s deputy foreign minister Abbas Araghchi hailed INSTEX as “the first step within the set of commitments the Europeans have made to Iran” but said that to be of any value, it must allow trading of sanctioned goods.

EU diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini, who has led the bloc’s efforts to save the Iran nuclear deal, also welcomed its creation.

INSTEX is not yet operational and needs Iran to set up a parallel structure of its own, a French government source told AFP — something which may take some time to complete.

While it is aimed at small and medium sized companies, the French source said it would send an important message to Iran about Europe’s commitment to keep the nuclear deal alive.

“We have to try to reduce the effects of Trump’s decision,” the source said.

“It is not a primarily commercial move but a strategic one.” For some in the EU, INSTEX represents the start of a European fightback against Washington’s swingeing extra-terrorial sanctions — which are enabled by the dollar’s role as the world’s dominant reserve currency.

Washington has warned the EU against trying to sidestep its sanctions on Tehran, while the Europeans — along with the deal’s other signatories Russia and China — say Iran has not broken its side of the nuclear accord and should be allowed to trade.

The UN atomic agency has certified Iran’s compliance with its obligations 13 times and even the head of the CIA said this week that Tehran was abiding by the accord — drawing a furious response from Trump.

Joseph Giordono-Scholz, spokesman for the US embassy in Berlin, insisted INSTEX would not undermine America’s economic campaign against Tehran.

“Entities that continue to engage in sanctionable activity involving Iran risk severe consequences that could include losing access to the US financial system and the ability to do business with the United States or US companies,” he said.

“We do not expect the SPV will in any way impact our maximum economic pressure campaign.” A number of major international companies have already pulled out of Iran in the face of dire warnings that the US will vigorously pursue any company breaching the sanctions regime.

The launch of INSTEX comes with EU countries growing increasingly concerned about Tehran’s ballistic missile programme, as well as its human rights record, its interference in Middle East conflicts and recent attempted attacks against opposition groups in Europe.

EU countries have been trying to agree a common statement on Iran covering the full spectrum of concerns, but so far they have struggled to reach consensus.

 

Previous Post

Teachers Haven’t Snatched Anything from You!

Next Post

Beyond rhetoric

AFP/ PTI

AFP/ PTI

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Medical Mafia

Beyond rhetoric

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.