• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Gunmen attack French embassy and army headquarters in Burkina Faso

Agencies by Agencies
March 3, 2018
in WORLD
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Ouagadougou | March 2 : Gunmen attacked the army’s headquarters in the capital of Burkina Faso on Friday as well as the downtown area and France’s embassy, and the French ambassador said an explosion in the city was a terrorist attack. It was not clear who was behind the violence but Burkina Faso and other West African countries have been targeted by jihadist groups linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State in the past few years.

A local news station showed pictures of black smoke coming from a building in central Ouagadougou and a Reuters correspondent found that most people had fled the streets. “Attack underway at the French Embassy and French Institute. Stay hidden where you are,” the embassy said in a statement posted on its Facebook site. A French official in Paris confirmed that an assault against the embassy was underway, as well as against the Burkina Faso army headquarters.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

France’s President Emmanuel Macron is being kept up to date with events in the Burkina Faso capital after gunmen launched an attack in the centre of the city in the vicinity of the French Embassy, the Elysee Palace said on Friday.

An explosion rocked the army headquarters and then gunfire rang out in the vicinity. A witness said masked gunmen with backpacks had attacked the army headquarters shortly before the explosion. Islamist militants have gained a stronger foothold in Africa’s vast Sahel region in the last few years, launching attacks in Mali, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and Niger.

Suspected jihadists killed at least 18 people last August during a raid on a restaurant in Ouagadougou, and militants have targeted Burkinabe security forces along its remote northern border region with Mali. Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed responsibility for an attack on a restaurant and hotel in Ouagadougou in January 2016 in which 30 people were killed.

Five countries launched a new taskforce last year to tackle Islamist militants in the region, to which international donors have committed half a billion dollars. Jean-Marc Châtaigner, France’s ambassador to West Africa’s Sahel region, tweeted: “Terrorist attack this morning in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso: solidarity with colleagues and Burkinabe friends.” He urged people to avoid the city centre. After the first big blast, the sound of a series of smaller explosions and exchanges of gunfire came from the direction of the headquarters. It ceased by around noon.

Previous Post

Sec 144 around Srinagar exam centres imposed from March 6

Next Post

Modi playing with fire, driving J&K to despair

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Modi playing with fire, driving J&K to despair

Modi playing with fire, driving J&K to despair

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.