• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Taliban official says group spoke with US official

Agencies by Agencies
July 29, 2018
in WORLD
A A
0
Taliban official says group spoke with US official
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Islamabad, Jul 28 (AP) The Taliban held their first direct contact with a US official in a preliminary discussion about future peace talks on Afghanistan, a senior official with the insurgent group said today.

It marked one of the most significant developments amid efforts to find a negotiated end to the country’s protracted war.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

The official described as “useful” a meeting with Alice Wells, the US’s top diplomat for South Asia, earlier this week. He said the meeting was held in the small Middle Eastern country of Qatar, where the Taliban have maintained a political office since 2013.

“The environment was positive and the discussion was useful,” the Taliban official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.

US officials neither confirmed nor denied a meeting took place. However, Wells was in Doha, the Qatar capital, this week.

In a statement following her return, the State Department said only that Wells had been in Doha, had met with the ruling family and “the United States is exploring all avenues to advance a peace process in close consultation with the Afghan government.”

Any talks about a future political setup would be between the Taliban and the Afghan government, the statement said.

The Taliban have long demanded direct talks with Washington, saying they do not want to talk politics with the US but instead meet face to face to discuss Washington’s concerns – particularly its security concerns – about the Taliban and Taliban involvement in Afghanistan’s future. They also say they want a time frame for the withdrawal of the roughly 15,000 US and NATO troops still in Afghanistan.

It wasn’t clear when the next meeting would be held or with whom, but the Taliban official who spoke to The AP was certain one would be held.

A former Taliban minister and ex-head of their political committee, Aga Jan Mohtism, who has maintained close contacts with the insurgent group, also confirmed a meeting in Doha between US officials and the Taliban took place earlier this week.

“The Taliban want to solve their problems with the Americans to end the invasion,” he said.

The Taliban have argued that the Afghan government cannot act independent of Washington. They also say that unless they can allay US concerns about the group, an agreement with Kabul would be meaningless.

During the Taliban’s five-year rule that ended with the 2001 US-led invasion, leader Mullah Mohammed Omar said regardless of whatever concessions they agreed to, including allowing girls to attend school, it would not gain them international recognition as long as the US refused to accept them.

The current leadership, most of whom are Mullah Omar’s contemporaries, still believe their future in Afghanistan can be guaranteed only if the United States’ concerns are addressed.

Until now, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s national security team has said it is ready to hold talks with the Taliban at any time and that their allies, including the United States, should participate only as observers.

In Kabul today, Shah Hussain Murtazawi, deputy spokesman for Ghani, repeated the government’s oft-stated position that peace talks should be “Afghan owned and Afghan led, any assistance the allies provide (would be in) a supportive role.”

Murtazawi did not comment directly on the meeting in Doha or say whether Ghani’s government was aware that the meeting had been held.

A previous attempt at direct talks between Washington and the Taliban in 2013 also in Doha, was scuttled when then-Afghan President Hamid Karzai objected to the Taliban calling its office the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan __ the name of its government __ and flying the flag the movement flew when they ruled Afghanistan.

At the time the direct talks, which the Taliban also said would be restricted to US concerns about the movement and troop withdrawal, was to be followed by talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government.

There was also a suggestion at the time that the talks would include the freedom of five Taliban held in the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay and the release of captured US soldier Bowe Bergdahl. His release was eventually secured in May 2014 in exchange for the five Taliban prisoners, who are living in Doha.

Islamabad, Jul 28 (AP) The Taliban held their first direct contact with a US official in a preliminary discussion about future peace talks on Afghanistan, a senior official with the insurgent group said today.

It marked one of the most significant developments amid efforts to find a negotiated end to the country’s protracted war.

The official described as “useful” a meeting with Alice Wells, the US’s top diplomat for South Asia, earlier this week. He said the meeting was held in the small Middle Eastern country of Qatar, where the Taliban have maintained a political office since 2013.

“The environment was positive and the discussion was useful,” the Taliban official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.

US officials neither confirmed nor denied a meeting took place. However, Wells was in Doha, the Qatar capital, this week.

In a statement following her return, the State Department said only that Wells had been in Doha, had met with the ruling family and “the United States is exploring all avenues to advance a peace process in close consultation with the Afghan government.”

Any talks about a future political setup would be between the Taliban and the Afghan government, the statement said.

The Taliban have long demanded direct talks with Washington, saying they do not want to talk politics with the US but instead meet face to face to discuss Washington’s concerns – particularly its security concerns – about the Taliban and Taliban involvement in Afghanistan’s future. They also say they want a time frame for the withdrawal of the roughly 15,000 US and NATO troops still in Afghanistan.

It wasn’t clear when the next meeting would be held or with whom, but the Taliban official who spoke to The AP was certain one would be held.

A former Taliban minister and ex-head of their political committee, Aga Jan Mohtism, who has maintained close contacts with the insurgent group, also confirmed a meeting in Doha between US officials and the Taliban took place earlier this week.

“The Taliban want to solve their problems with the Americans to end the invasion,” he said.

The Taliban have argued that the Afghan government cannot act independent of Washington. They also say that unless they can allay US concerns about the group, an agreement with Kabul would be meaningless.

During the Taliban’s five-year rule that ended with the 2001 US-led invasion, leader Mullah Mohammed Omar said regardless of whatever concessions they agreed to, including allowing girls to attend school, it would not gain them international recognition as long as the US refused to accept them.

The current leadership, most of whom are Mullah Omar’s contemporaries, still believe their future in Afghanistan can be guaranteed only if the United States’ concerns are addressed.

Until now, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s national security team has said it is ready to hold talks with the Taliban at any time and that their allies, including the United States, should participate only as observers.

In Kabul today, Shah Hussain Murtazawi, deputy spokesman for Ghani, repeated the government’s oft-stated position that peace talks should be “Afghan owned and Afghan led, any assistance the allies provide (would be in) a supportive role.”

Murtazawi did not comment directly on the meeting in Doha or say whether Ghani’s government was aware that the meeting had been held.

A previous attempt at direct talks between Washington and the Taliban in 2013 also in Doha, was scuttled when then-Afghan President Hamid Karzai objected to the Taliban calling its office the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan __ the name of its government __ and flying the flag the movement flew when they ruled Afghanistan.

At the time the direct talks, which the Taliban also said would be restricted to US concerns about the movement and troop withdrawal, was to be followed by talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government.

There was also a suggestion at the time that the talks would include the freedom of five Taliban held in the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay and the release of captured US soldier Bowe Bergdahl. His release was eventually secured in May 2014 in exchange for the five Taliban prisoners, who are living in Doha.

Previous Post

Paint your canvas before the colours lose gloss

Next Post

Featured Artist-  Ram Kinker Baij

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
FEATURED ARTIST- Waseem Mushtaq

Featured Artist-  Ram Kinker Baij

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.