• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Bihar SIR row: SC asks EC to publish details of 65 lakh deleted voters with reasons

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
August 15, 2025
in NATION
A A
0
SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday directed the Election Commission of India (ECI) to publish details of 65 lakh deleted names from the voters list with reasons of non-inclusion to enhance transparency in Bihar’s special intensive revision (SIR) of electoral roll.

A bench of Justices Surya Kant and Joymalya Bagchi passed the order while hearing pleas challenging the June 24 ECI decision to conduct the SIR of electoral roll in Bihar.

More News

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

13 dead, 20 injured in Palghar tempo-trailer accident

Load More

It directed the list of 65 lakh voters whose names featured in the electoral roll but were dropped from the draft roll published by the ECI on August 1.

The list comprising names of those who have died, migrated or moved to other constituencies was directed to be displayed along with reasons at the panchayat level office and the office of district level returning officers.

The bench further stressed on giving wide publicity via newspapers including vernacular and English dailies aside from television news channels and radio to the public informing the people about the places where the list would be available.

The top court further allowed people aggrieved by the deletion of their names to approach the poll officials along with their Aadhaar card.

The bench while posting the matter for August 22, asked the poll panel to file a compliance report of its direction.

On August 1, the reasons cited by the EC for non-inclusion of previously registered voters in the draft rolls included death (22.34 lakh), “permanently shifted/absent” (36.28 lakh) and “already enrolled (at more than one places)” (7.01 lakh).

Senior advocate Rakesh Dwivedi, appearing for the poll panel, said it had enough reservoir of power to take certain decisions but lamented ECI functioning in an “atmosphere of sharp political hostility” where most of its decisions were contested.

He said the ECI was currently “caught between the struggle of political parties” which saw them call EVMs “bad” when they lost and call EVMs “good” when they won.

Dwivedi said a conservative estimate showed around 6.5 crore people were not required to submit any documents for SIR in Bihar as they or their parents were registered in the 2003 electoral roll.

Earlier during the hearing, the top court sought to know the documents that were considered during the 2003 intensive electoral roll revision in Bihar.

The bench said, “We would like ECI to state what documents were taken in the 2003 exercise”.

The remarks came after advocate Nizam Pasha, appearing for one of the parties, referred to the court reportedly saying “if the date of January 1, 2003 (the date of earlier SIR) goes then everything goes”.

“I must submit that nothing was there to show why this date is there… The impression sought to be conveyed is that it is the earlier date when the intensive exercise for revision of the electoral roll was held. It is stated that the EPIC (voter) card issued then is more reliable than issued during summary exercises conducted from time to time, is incorrect,” Pasha said.

ECI conducts summary revision of electoral rolls ahead of elections for inclusion and deletion of voters every year whereas intensive revision are conducted for a thorough revision of electoral rolls in a state after a period of time.

Pasha asked if the process of enrolling under intensive and summary revisions was the same then how could EPIC cards issued under summary exercises be discarded.

The lawyer, therefore, said the date of 2003 was invalid and not based on “intelligible differentia” (basis of distinguishing the two situations).

“No receipt of my enumeration form is being given or any documents acknowledging the receipt is given and therefore the booth level officers have an upper hand and these lower level officers have too much discretion on whether the form has to be taken or not,” he said.

Senior advocate Shoeb Alam, appearing for another petitioner, pointed out insufficient reasons in the ECI notification saying the process invented was neither “summary” nor “intensive” but just a creation of the notification.

“This is a process of voter registration and cannot be a process of disqualification. This is a process to welcome and not turn this into a process to unwelcome,” he said.

The top court on August 13 observed electoral rolls cannot remain “static” and there is bound to be a revision, the top court said the expanded list of acceptable documents of identity from seven to 11 for Bihar’s SIR of voters’ list was in fact “voter-friendly and not exclusionary.”

As the row over the SIR escalated, the bench said the EC possessed residual power to conduct such an exercise as it deemed fit.

The bench also disagreed with a submission by a petitioner that the SIR of electoral rolls in poll-bound Bihar had no basis in law and ought to be quashed.

Leaders of opposition parties including the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Congress and the NGO Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR) have challenged the electoral roll revision drive in Bihar.

Previous Post

I-Day: 11K security personnel to be deployed near Red Fort; surveillance intensified across Delhi

Next Post

SC reference to Pahalgam attack shows govt’s lack of confidence in JK’s stability: Mehbooba

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 19, 2026

Oslo:  India and Norway have firmed up a Green Strategic Partnership, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Norwegian counterpart...

Read moreDetails

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 18, 2026

Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh):  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday asserted that India is now "by and large" free from three...

Read moreDetails

13 dead, 20 injured in Palghar tempo-trailer accident

   Two killings/deaths in J&K, people want answers
May 18, 2026

Palghar: A tempo packed with guests heading for an engagement ceremony collided with a speeding container trailer on Monday on...

Read moreDetails

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors
May 18, 2026

The Hague: Driven by shifting global geopolitics, India and the Netherlands elevated their ties to a strategic partnership and inked...

Read moreDetails

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom
May 18, 2026

The Hague: India has flatly rejected allegations of declining media freedom and erosion of religious and minority rights, asserting that...

Read moreDetails

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

No shortage of fuel, essential supplies in India despite West Asia crisis: Rajnath Singh
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Sunday wrote to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the Great Nicobar Island Project,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

SC reference to Pahalgam attack shows govt's lack of confidence in JK's stability: Mehbooba

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.