• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home SPORTS

Shaheen Afridi’s Test future under cloud after his exclusion from Bangladesh series

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
January 12, 2025
in SPORTS
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Karachi:  The future of Pakistan’s premier fast bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi in red-ball cricket has come under a cloud after he was sidelined for the two-Test series against the West Indies at home.

Shaheen has now either been dropped, sidelined or “rested” for eight out of Pakistan’s last 12 Tests since early 2024.

More News

Indian-Australian athlete completes 5,000-km ‘One India Run’ in Srinagar

Tanvir Sadiq leads revival of iconic Shahr-e-Khaas heritage run in Srinagar

YSS adopts district-wise sports monitoring framework

Load More

The left-arm pacer with 116 wickets from 32 Tests was also not selected for the two-Test series in South Africa with the selectors giving the explanation that they wanted him fresh for the ICC Champions Trophy starting February 19.

Interestingly, the Pakistan Cricket Board didn’t hesitate to issue a NOC to Shaeen to go and play in the ongoing Bangladesh Premier League at the same time the Tests were on in South Africa.

Even before the South African tour where Shaheen played and performed well in the T20 and ODI series, the selectors had sidelined him for the last two Tests against England at home last year and before that a Test each against Bangladesh at home and in Sydney in Australia early 2024.

In the latest setback for Shaheen, the selectors announced a 15-member squad for the two Tests against West Indies without Shaheen and also without regular pacers Naseem Shah and Mir Hamza, Muhammad Abbas and Aamir Jamal all who played in South Africa series which Pakistan lost two nil.

A source close to the selectors said that Shaheen and Naseem were both being nursed through to the Champions Trophy which begins February 19.

“The selectors want Shaheen and even Naseem at their best in the Champions Trophy as it is a 50-overs competition and we are defending champions,” the source said.

But he had no reasonable answer when reminded that Pakistan had never won a Test series in South Africa and last won a Test there in 2006. A series win or even a Test victory with Shaheen in the side on pace friendly pitches would have been a big boost for Pakistan before the ICC event.

The source insisted that the selectors had deliberated upon having Shaeen in the Test squad for the South Africa series but decided to give him a break because of the hectic cricket calender.

“But for the West Indies series there was no purpose taxing him out since both teams are out of this cycle of the World Test Championship final contention and the selectors are planning to have spin pitches in Multan.”

Shaheen, still only 24 years of age, has himself in a recent interview made it clear he was ready to play Test and all formats for Pakistan.

He also dismissed suggestions he had asked the selectors to rest him for the South Africa.

 

Previous Post

India’s young will power its rise to becoming developed by 2047: PM Modi

Next Post

New Zealand names young pacers O’Rourke, Smith and Sears for the Champions Trophy

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Indian-Australian athlete completes 5,000-km ‘One India Run’ in Srinagar

Indian-Australian athlete completes 5,000-km ‘One India Run’ in Srinagar
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Indian-Australian endurance athlete Om Satija on Sunday completed his ambitious 5,000-kilometre “One India Run” campaign after reaching Srinagar, marking...

Read moreDetails

Tanvir Sadiq leads revival of iconic Shahr-e-Khaas heritage run in Srinagar

Tanvir Sadiq leads revival of iconic Shahr-e-Khaas heritage run in Srinagar
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Downtown Srinagar on Sunday witnessed the return of the iconic Khyber Run for Shahr-e-Khaas after a gap of nearly...

Read moreDetails

YSS adopts district-wise sports monitoring framework

YSS adopts district-wise sports monitoring framework
May 17, 2026

Srinagar: The Department of Youth Services and Sports on Saturday reviewed sports infrastructure projects, youth engagement programmes and district action...

Read moreDetails

Omar congratulates Yasser on Asian boxing gold

Omar congratulates Yasser on Asian boxing gold
May 17, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday congratulated young Rajouri boxer Mohammad Yasser for winning a gold medal at the...

Read moreDetails

National Pencak Silat course begins in Srinagar

May 17, 2026

Srinagar: A National Referee and Jury Course organised by the Indian Pencak Silat Federation commenced on Saturday at the Sher-i-Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

Sports Council expands KCFL trials across Kashmir

May 17, 2026

Srinagar, May 16: The Jammu and Kashmir Sports Council on Saturday continued its district-wide football talent hunt across the Valley...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

New Zealand names young pacers O'Rourke, Smith and Sears for the Champions Trophy

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.