• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Bombay HC special bench commences hearing on appeals of 7/11 serial train blasts case convicts

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 16, 2024
in NATION
A A
0
City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case

Representational Photo

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Mumbai: Eighteen years after a series of blasts ripped through seven suburban trains on the Western Railway network, the Bombay High Court on Monday began hearing the appeals filed by convicts in the case.

Apart from appeals filed by the convicts, a special bench of Justices Anil Kilor and Shyam Chandak will also hear the state government’s pleas seeking confirmation of the death penalty imposed on some of them.

More News

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership

NEET paper leak: Court sends 5 accused to judicial custody, extends CBI custody of Khairnar

Modi, Shah traitors who sold Hindustan: Rahul alleges at rally in Raebareli

Load More

On July 11, 2006, seven blasts occurred in as many Western Railway suburban trains, killing more than 180 persons and injuring several others.

In September 2015, the trial court convicted 12 accused. Five were given the death penalty while the remaining seven were sentenced to life imprisonment.

The state government then filed an appeal in HC seeking confirmation of the death penalty. A death sentence awarded by the trial court has to be confirmed by the HC.

The convicts too filed appeals challenging their conviction and sentences.

Since 2015, the pleas have come up before 11 different benches but have not been taken up as yet.

Last week, the HC set up a special bench to hear the appeals.

The bench on Monday said it would hear the matter on a day-to-day basis in the morning session and directed that convicts in the case be produced before it via video conferencing from their respective jails and not physically.

The defence and prosecution had earlier said the hearing was likely to take around six months to complete.

Special public prosecutor Raja Thakare began his arguments with a brief overview of what happened on the day of the blasts. He said the intensity of the blasts was such that sides of the local trains were ripped apart.

“Limbs and body parts were scattered and blood was everywhere at the sites where these incidents took place. Bags and luggage of passengers were also scattered around. Out of panic people jumped and lost their lives. It is difficult to imagine how this was handled at that time,” he said.

Advocate Payoshi Roy, appearing for some of the convicts, said the accused were innocent and had been implicated in the case.

 

Previous Post

BJP’s tally falls below 90 in Rajya Sabha but set to rise after bypolls

Next Post

‘Create separate fund for accident victims of non-insured vehicles’

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership

India and Italy agree to elevate ties to special strategic partnership
May 20, 2026

Rome:  India and Italy on Tuesday decided to elevate their ties to special strategic partnership and enhance cooperation in areas...

Read moreDetails

NEET paper leak: Court sends 5 accused to judicial custody, extends CBI custody of Khairnar

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
May 20, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Wednesday sent five accused in the NEET paper leak case to judicial custody till...

Read moreDetails

Modi, Shah traitors who sold Hindustan: Rahul alleges at rally in Raebareli

J&K’s security situation to figure in conference of DGPs, IGPs in Jaipur on January 5-7
May 20, 2026

Raebareli (UP): Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday termed Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and the RSS...

Read moreDetails

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 20, 2026

Jagdalpur:  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday said Naxalism has been completely eradicated from the country ahead of the...

Read moreDetails

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Army chief reviews counter-terror ops, deliberates on infusion of advanced tech
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Under Operation Sindoor, Indian forces dismantled terror infrastructure, punctured a long-standing strategic assumption, and then stopped "deliberately and...

Read moreDetails

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

NDA govt at Centre ‘crippled’; opposition dealt fatal blow to BJP: Rahul Gandhi
May 20, 2026

Raebareli (UP): Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday launched a scathing attack on...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

‘Create separate fund for accident victims of non-insured vehicles'

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.