• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Over 50 pro-regime fighters killed in east Syria strike

KI News by KI News
June 19, 2018
in WORLD
A A
0
Over 50 pro-regime fighters killed in east Syria strike
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Beirut, Jun 18 : An air strike has killed more than 50 pro-regime fighters in eastern Syria, most of them foreigners, with the US-led coalition denying accusations from Damascus that it was behind the attack.

The strike just before midnight hit Al-Hari, a town controlled by regional militias fighting in the complex seven-year war on behalf of President Bashar al-Assad.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor of the conflict, said 52 pro-regime forces were killed in one of the deadliest air attacks in recent months.

“Among them are at least 30 Iraqi fighters and 16 Syrians, including soldiers and members of loyalist militias,” the Observatory chief, Rami Abdel Rahman, told AFP.

The nationalities of the remaining six fighters were not immediately known, he said. There are Iraqi, Iranian, Lebanese and even Afghan fighters stationed in the area.

According to Abdel Rahman, some wounded fighters were treated in the nearby town of Albu Kamal, while others travelled across the border to Iraq.

A military source in Deir Ezzor told AFP the warplanes hit “joint Iraqi-Syrian positions in Al-Hari”.

The attack was first reported by Syrian state media overnight, which cited a military source and accused the US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group of carrying it out. It said several people were killed and wounded but did not give a specific number or their nationalities.

The coalition’s press office said it had heard reports that a strike in the area had killed and wounded members of a pro-regime Iraqi militia, but denied it was responsible.

“There have been no strikes by US or coalition forces in that area,” it told AFP by e-mail.

IS overran large swathes of Syria and neighbouring Iraq in 2014, declaring an Islamic “caliphate” in areas under its control.

Separate offensives have since whittled down the jihadists’ territory in Syria to just a handful of pockets in the eastern desert, including in the Deir Ezzor province where Al-Hari lies.

A US-backed alliance of Kurdish and Arab fighters and Russia-supported regime forces are carrying out separate operations against those IS-held pockets.

The two forces have mostly avoided crashing into each other thanks to a de-confliction line that runs across the province along the winding Euphrates River.

Syrian troops are battling IS on the western river bank, while the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces fight on the east.

Iraqi warplanes also have occasionally bombed IS positions in Syria’s east.

Al-Hari lies on the western side, close to the river and the de-confliction line.

The buffer has largely been successful in keeping the two offensives apart, but there have been exceptions.

Last month a dozen pro-regime fighters were killed in an air strike on Syrian government positions that the Observatory and state media blamed on the coalition.

The Pentagon denied responsibility.

In February, US-led coalition air strikes killed at least 100 pro-regime fighters in Deir Ezzor province, including Russians.

“The strike on Al-Hari produced the highest death toll for regime forces since the February incident,” Observatory head Abdel Rahman told AFP.

More than 350,000 people have been killed since Syria’s conflict erupted in 2011 with protests against Assad’s rule. Those demonstrations spiralled into a full-blown war that has drawn in world powers and seen the rise of jihadist forces like IS.

The strike on Al-Hari came a day after the US-backed SDF announced it had ousted IS from Dashisha, a village to the north in Syria’s Hasakeh province.

The village had been one of the last IS-controlled areas on a corridor linking Syria with Iraq.

“For the first time in four years, Dashisha, a notorious transit town for weapons, fighters, and suicide bombers between Iraq and Syria, is no longer controlled by ISIS terrorists,” Brett McGurk, the US president’s special envoy for the war against IS, said today.

Previous Post

India, China ties can’t take strain of another Doklam: Chinese envoy

Next Post

WGAJK to attend a special meeting being convened by IOA

KI News

KI News

Kashmir Images is an English language daily newspaper published from Srinagar (J&K), India. The newspaper is one of the largest circulated English dailies of Kashmir and its hard copies reach every nook and corner of Kashmir Valley besides Jammu and Ladakh region.

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
WGAJK to attend a special meeting being convened by IOA

WGAJK to attend a special meeting being convened by IOA

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.