• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Death toll mounts to 131 in China’s quake-hit areas as survivors wait anxiously for rescuers to save kin caught in rubble

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
December 20, 2023
in WORLD
A A
0
Mild earthquake jolts JK
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Beijing/Jishishan: China has stepped up rescue and relief work in the earthquake-hit areas of Gansu and Qinghai provinces in the country’s northwest where the death toll on Wednesday climbed to 131 with over 700 injured.

Amidst the biting cold, rescuers were making frantic efforts to pull those who were still stuck under the rubble of collapsed structures. Monday’s 6.2-magnitude earthquake killed 113 people and injured 782 others in Gansu Province, officials told media in Jishishan county, which witnessed widespread destruction.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

The earthquake, the worst in nine years, also has claimed 18 lives in neighbouring Qinghai Province, with 16 people still missing, local authorities said.

A total of 14,939 homes had collapsed and 2,07,204 homes were damaged, affecting 1,45,736 people from 37,162 households in Gansu, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Over 4,500 rescuers from the provincial public security department, fire department, and the military, as well as more than 820 vehicles, were dispatched to the disaster area to search every corner for survivors.

A total of 87,076 people from 20,457 households have been temporarily relocated to safe places.

In Qinghai province nestled in the hills north-east of Tibet region, survivors were anxious as rescuers approached the remote villages to pull the people buried under the rubble of their buildings.

“My family assured me that they were safe after the earthquake, but now they are all buried,” a man surnamed Yang in Jintian village of Zhongchuan Township in northwest China’s Qinghai Province told Xinhua.

“We cannot stop,” Wang Lyu, deputy head of the Qinghai team of China’s National Fire and Rescue Administration, who headed a 157-member team of rescuers, said while looking with red eyes at those waiting for miracles. “They will have hope for as long as we are here,” he said.

Among the villagers watching at the site, the emotional Yang pointed at a two-storey building, saying that his family ran into the yard after the quake, and were then buried unexpectedly when the sand boil struck.

“My granny, my mom, my aunt, and a toddler are all buried,” he said. “We only know that they are here, but have no idea of the exact location.”

By the time dusk fell in the village, the temperature had already dropped to minus 10 degrees Celsius. Zhang Xiaoqiang, the Communist Party chief of Zhongchuan, told media that despite the efforts of local cadres to persuade them to leave, some villagers insisted on staying outside a tent erected to provide shelter, choosing instead to wait for updates from rescuers while they sobbed out in the cold.

In Gansu province, emergency relief materials such as tents, quilts, folding beds and moisture-proof mats have been urgently allocated. Steamed buns, instant noodles, and other food and living materials have been sent to the affected people to ensure they have enough food and to protect them from the cold, Han Shujun with the provincial emergency management department, told the media.

According to the China Earthquake Networks Centre, the quake occurred at 11:59 pm Monday, with a focal depth of 10 km. The epicentre of Liugou Township is about 8 km from the county seat of the Bonan-Dongxiang-Salar Autonomous County of Jishishan in Gansu Province.

A survey of post-earthquake geological disaster risks was conducted collaboratively by various departments. Production was halted at all mines within the earthquake-affected areas and people around there were evacuated. The operation of 89 water conservancy facilities remained normal, the Xinhua report said.

The local meteorological bureau said that, from December 20 to January 2, the lowest temperature in the earthquake-hit county is expected to range from minus 10 degrees Celsius to minus 14 degrees Celsius.

In the city of Haidong, Qinghai Province, which was severely affected by the earthquake, an investigation of 816 schools has been completed and more than 50 local schools have been damaged to different degrees, according to local authorities.

The department has also opened hotlines for psychological assistance, financial assistance, and postgraduate entrance exam inquiries for students.

 

Previous Post

All India Masih Seva Dal delegation, Chairperson J&K Waqf Board call on LG

Next Post

Lt Governor attends Annual Day celebration of Sainik School, Nagrota

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Lt Governor attends Annual Day celebration of Sainik School, Nagrota

Lt Governor attends Annual Day celebration of Sainik School, Nagrota

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.