• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

HC dismisses petition seeking age relaxation for posts of civil judges 

Images News Netwok by Images News Netwok
October 5, 2023
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
PIL seeks HC intervention for establishing daycare centres, old-age homes for elderly
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: The High Court on Wednesday dismissed a writ petition by scores of candidates seeking age relaxation for the posts of civil judges.

They had argued that the government had arbitrarily withdrawn the advertisement notice for the posts in 2019 when they had applied for it, but have by now crossed the upper-age limit.     

More News

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Load More

Justices Puneet Gupta and Sindhu Sharma found that the petition is without merit and said that there is no provision for relaxation in minimum or upper age limit in the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Service (Judicial) Recruitment Rules, 1967. 

“Rule 13 of Delhi Judicial Services provides that the examination will be held by the High Court in Delhi, preferably once a year, subject to vacancy. This rule is different from Rule 10 of the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Service (Judicial) Recruitment Rules, 1967, which provides that the examination for selection of candidates shall as far as practicable be held annually,” they said. 

It further said that the process of selection is already underway, and the ensuing examination is to be held on October 08, 2023. All the preparations for it have been made, and permitting the petition at this stage will, in any case, set at naught the entire process, the bench added. 

The petition filed against the High Court of J&K and Ladakh, Union Territory of J&K and others said that the J&K Public Service Commission (PSC) invited applications for filling up 69 posts of Civil Judge (Junior Division) in Subordinate Judiciary vide a notification on August 27, 2023. The prescribed age for the candidates to participate in the recruitment process, as per the notification, is minimum 18 years and maximum 35 years as on 1st of January, 2023. 

The petitioners aggrieved by the notification say that it has ignored the fact that they had earlier applied pursuant to Notification No. PSC/Exam/2018-19/14 dated 09.10.2019 and “are entitled to one-time age relaxation as they have become overage”. 

The contention of the petitioners is that the JKPSC in the year 2019, invited applications for 24 posts of Civil Judge. The petitioners at that point of time were fulfilling the requisite eligibility criteria and had responded to the notification, but before the last date of receipt of applications, these posts were withdrawn vide notification dated 24.10.2019. 

They submitted that the notification dated 27.08.2023 issued by PSC for filing up 69 posts of Civil Judge includes the 24 posts advertised vide notification dated 09.10.2019. But the petitioners are now ineligible to participate in the present selection process for the aforesaid 69 posts as they have become overage. 

They also pleaded that there was no recruitment process undertaken by the respondents for selection to the post of Civil Judges from 2020 to 2022. No opportunity was available to the petitioners to participate/compete in the selection process while they were within the prescribed upper age limit. “As such, we are entitled to one-time age relaxation to enable us to participate in the selection process,” they said. 

In support of their contention, the petitioners also placed reliance on a notification bearing No. GAD-MTG0RIV/200/2021-09- GAD dated 15.02.2022 issued by the General Administration Department, granting ‘one-time age relaxation’ to overage candidates desirous for applying against the withdrawn posts. 

As per the notification, the candidates who had earlier applied against the withdrawn posts were deemed to be eligible in terms of the upper age limit, if they apply for the said posts. 

The judges after hearing the petitioners and the respondents said “the selection for the post of Civil Judge (Junior Division) was conducted in the year 2009, 2012, 2013, 2017 and 2018 since 2008 till date. The petitioners being eligible at that time also, had the opportunity to participate in the aforementioned selection process. The petitioners, thus, cannot seek relaxation as a matter of right, if they are otherwise not eligible merely because they could not participate in the selection process in the year 2019, when the posts were withdrawn”. 

They held that it was not practicable for the respondents to hold the examinations for the aforesaid posts as there were certain amendments which were necessitated in the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Service (Judicial) Recruitment Rules, 1967, in view of the promulgation of the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganization Act, 2019. 

 

 

Previous Post

Land under paddy cultivation shrinking in Kashmir

Next Post

Operation to track down ‘hiding terrorists’ enters third day in Rajouri

Images News Netwok

Images News Netwok

Related Posts

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details

LG urges citizens to self-enumerate their household details
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha completed his self-enumeration today, marking the beginning of the House listing and Housing Census...

Read moreDetails

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K

Lashkar terrorist goes for hair transplant after infiltrating J&K
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Infiltrating Jammu and Kashmir to execute terror attacks for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a Pakistani terrorist paused his operations...

Read moreDetails

Eid-ul-Adha on May 27

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir Nasir-ul-Islam Farooq on Sunday announced that Eid-ul-Adha will be celebrated across Jammu and...

Read moreDetails

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh

Mainstreaming of J&K under Modi govt led to aspirational surge among women: Jitendra Singh
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Union Minister Jitendra Singh on Sunday said the mainstreaming of Jammu and Kashmir under the leadership of Prime Minister...

Read moreDetails

DFCO issues advisory ahead of nationwide chemists’ bandh on May 20

Tral shuts for second day against militant killings
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: Drugs and Food Control Organization on Sunday issued a public advisory ahead of the nationwide bandh call given by...

Read moreDetails

Govt withholds salaries of four ACDs over poor MGNREGA performance

AC extends Amnesty Scheme-2022 for domestic consumers of electricity till March 2025
May 18, 2026

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government has withheld the salaries of four Additional District Programme Coordinators (ADPCs)/Assistant Commissioners Development (ACDs)...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Search operation launched in Kathua following suspected movement

Operation to track down ‘hiding terrorists’ enters third day in Rajouri

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.