• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

SC terms offence against Manipur women ‘horrendous’, says it does not want it to be handled by state police

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 31, 2023
in NATION
A A
0
SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday termed as “horrendous” the video of two women being paraded naked in Manipur and sought information about steps taken so far in the FIRs lodged, saying now it will not want the state police to probe the matter as they virtually handed over the women to the rioting mob.

The top court said it may constitute an SIT or a committee comprising former judges to monitor the situation in the strife-torn state subject to hearing the law officers representing the Centre and Manipur on Tuesday.

More News

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

Load More

The bench, which listed a clutch of pleas on Manipur violence for hearing on Tuesday, said though the incident of stripping and parading these women came to light on May 4 why the Manipur police took 14 days to register an FIR on May 18.

“What was police doing? Why was an FIR in video case transferred to magisterial court on June 24, that is after one month and three days,” asked the bench comprising Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justices J B Pardiwala and Manoj Misra.

“This is horrendous. There are media reports that these women were handed over to mob by the police. We also do not want the police to handle it,” the bench said.

When Attorney General R Venkataramani sought time for responding to the queries, the bench said it was running out of time and there was “a great need” for giving a healing touch to the state, for those who lost everything including their loved ones and their homes.

The bench asked the state government to provide the details about the number of ‘zero FIRs’ registered in the state torn by ethnic violence and the arrests made so far.

A zero FIR can be filed in any police station regardless of whether the offence was committed within its jurisdiction.

“We would also want to know the package for rehabilitation being provided to the state for affected people,” it said.

Earlier in the day, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Centre and the state government, told the bench the Union of India has no objection if the apex court decides to monitor the investigation in the cases of violence.

The top court called for evolving a broad mechanism to deal with violence against women and asked how many FIRs have been registered in such incidents in the state since May.

At the outset, senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing for the two women who were seen in the May 4 video being paraded naked, said they have filed a petition in the apex court.

The supreme court had on July 20 said it was “deeply disturbed” by the video and that using women as instruments for perpetrating violence is “simply unacceptable in a constitutional democracy”.

Taking cognisance of the video, a bench headed by the chief justice had directed the Centre and the Manipur government to initiate immediate remedial, rehabilitative and preventive steps and apprise it of the action taken.

On July 27, the Centre informed the top court it has  transferred the probe into the case involving the two women to the CBI and asserted the government has “zero tolerance towards crimes against women”.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), in an affidavit filed through its Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla, also urged the top court to transfer the trial of the case outside Manipur for its conclusion  in a time-bound manner. Seven people have been arrested in the case so far.

Scores of people have been killed and several hundred injured since ethnic violence broke out in the state on May 3 when a ‘Tribal Solidarity March’ was organised in the hill districts to protest against the majority Meitei community’s demand for Scheduled Tribe status.

Previous Post

PM must make statement on Manipur, INDIA parties want debate under Rule 267 in Rajya Sabha: Cong

Next Post

DYS&S B’la organizes series of sports activities under Inter-School Sports Competitions

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Naxalism eradicated from country before March 31 deadline: Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 20, 2026

Jagdalpur:  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday said Naxalism has been completely eradicated from the country ahead of the...

Read moreDetails

Operation Sindoor reflected ‘smart power’ in its most complete expression, says Indian Army chief

Army chief reviews counter-terror ops, deliberates on infusion of advanced tech
May 20, 2026

New Delhi: Under Operation Sindoor, Indian forces dismantled terror infrastructure, punctured a long-standing strategic assumption, and then stopped "deliberately and...

Read moreDetails

Rahul renews attack on PM over US deal, claims BJP sold India to save Adani

NDA govt at Centre ‘crippled’; opposition dealt fatal blow to BJP: Rahul Gandhi
May 20, 2026

Raebareli (UP): Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha and Congress MP Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday launched a scathing attack on...

Read moreDetails

All must follow law to maintain harmony: Rijiju on Adityanath’s remarks over namaz on streets

May 20, 2026

New Delhi:  Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Tuesday reacted to remarks linked to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi calls for early end to conflicts in West Asia and Ukraine

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 19, 2026

Oslo:  India and Norway have firmed up a Green Strategic Partnership, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Norwegian counterpart...

Read moreDetails

India ‘by and large’ free from 3 internal security problems, ‘dream’ of ending Naxalism achieved: Amit Shah

Amit Shah to chair high-level security review meeting on J&K today
May 18, 2026

Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh):  Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday asserted that India is now "by and large" free from three...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
DYS&S B’la organizes series of sports activities under Inter-School Sports Competitions

DYS&S B’la organizes series of sports activities under Inter-School Sports Competitions

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.