• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, November 30, 2025
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Turkish presidential candidate withdraws in boost to Erdogan’s main challenger

AP/ PTI by AP/ PTI
May 11, 2023
in WORLD
A A
0
Turkey vows to continue fight against Kurdish militia after Trump threat
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Ankara: A candidate in Turkiye’s presidential election announced on Thursday that he was withdrawing from the race, a move that’s likely to bolster President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s main challenger.

Muharrem Ince, the leader of the centre-left Homeland Party, was one of four contenders running for president in the May 14 election. Turkiye will also be holding a parliamentary election at the same time.

More News

Bangladesh’s interim govt urges India to extradite Sheikh Hasina, her aide

PM Modi will not address General Debate at high-level UNGA session

Looks like we lost India, Russia to ‘darkest’ China: US President Trump

Load More

Ince had come under intense criticism for splintering the votes of the six-party Nation Alliance, which has united behind the candidacy of main opposition party leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu, and of possibly forcing the presidential race into a second-round.

“I am withdrawing from the race,” Ince told reporters in front of his party’s headquarters. “I am doing this for my country.”

Erdogan, who has led Turkey as prime minister and president since 2003, is facing the most challenging election of his 20-year rule.

Polls had given Kilicdaroglu a slight lead over Erdogan, although neither candidate was expected to garner more than 50 per cent of the votes required to be elected in the first round.

Ince had polled around 8% of the votes when his candidacy was first announced, but his popularity ratings have since dropped to around 2 per cent, according to opinion surveys.

The firebrand politician didn’t say he was dropping out in favor of Kilicdaroglu, but analysts say his withdrawal is likely to benefit the Nation Alliance.

Nation Alliance members welcomed Ince’s decision to step down.

“God willing, our nation will take the necessary step in the days ahead so that we will (succeed) in the first round,” said Gultekin Uysal, leader of the center-right Democrat Party.

Ince, however, said the Homeland Party, which he formed in 2021, would still run in the parliamentary elections, and he called for votes for the party “from each household.”

The 58-year-old former physics teacher had previously run against Erdogan in presidential elections in 2018 under the ticket of Kilicdaroglu’s main opposition party, CHP. He had garnered around 30 per cent of the votes, but later broke away from the party.

“They will have no excuses if they lose the election,” Ince said, in an apparent reference to Kilicdaroglu.

Previous Post

Pak SC declares Imran Khan’s arrest ‘illegal’, orders his immediate release

Next Post

UK gives cruise missiles to Ukraine; Kyiv delays counteroffensive as it waits for more weapons

AP/ PTI

AP/ PTI

Related Posts

Bangladesh’s interim govt urges India to extradite Sheikh Hasina, her aide

Ahead of polls, Hasina announces to build 560 model mosques, Islamic university in B’desh
by Press Trust of india
November 17, 2025

Dhaka: Bangladesh's interim government on Monday urged India to immediately extradite deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina and her former home...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi will not address General Debate at high-level UNGA session

PM Modi, senior ministers take oath as members of 18th Lok Sabha
by Press Trust of india
September 6, 2025

United Nations: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will not address the General Debate at the annual high-level session of the United...

Read moreDetails

Looks like we lost India, Russia to ‘darkest’ China: US President Trump

Sweeping Trump tariffs draw dismay, calls for talks from countries around globe
by Press Trust of india
September 5, 2025

Washington:  It looks like the US has lost India and Russia to "darkest" China, President Donald Trump said on Friday...

Read moreDetails

Putin chides Trump for using colonial era tactics to pressure leaders of India, China

Global leaders including Putin condole Vajpayee’s death
by Press Trust of india
September 4, 2025

Beijing: Russian President Vladimir Putin has reprimanded his US counterpart Donald Trump for attempting to exert colonial-era pressure tactics on...

Read moreDetails

Trump’s personal rapport with Modi ‘gone now’, says former US NSA Bolton

Trump’s personal rapport with Modi ‘gone now’, says former US NSA Bolton
by Press Trust of india
September 4, 2025

New York/Washington: President Donald Trump had a very good personal relationship with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, but “that's gone now”,...

Read moreDetails

Earthquake in eastern Afghanistan kills at least 610 people, injures 1,300

Mild earthquake jolts JK
by AP/ PTI
September 1, 2025

Kabul: An earthquake in Afghanistan's east has killed at least 610 people and injured 1,300, a spokesman for the Taliban...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
UK gives cruise missiles to Ukraine; Kyiv delays counteroffensive as it waits for more weapons

UK gives cruise missiles to Ukraine; Kyiv delays counteroffensive as it waits for more weapons

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.