• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home BUSINESS

Shanghai’s COVID surge stalls construction of China’s 3rd aircraft carrier

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 17, 2022
in BUSINESS
A A
0
Saloora, Wani join PDP along with hundreds of supporters
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Beijing: The massive surge of COVID-19 cases in Shanghai city has hit China’s shipbuilding industry, including the launch of the third aircraft carrier scheduled for April next year.

For over a fortnight, Shanghai — China’s business and industrial hub with over 26 million people — has been literally shut down with strict lockdown as the city experienced rampaging spread of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

More News

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

PM Modi lands in Sweden; to hold talks on trade, technology, defence

Load More

Shanghai reported 3,590 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and over 21,500 local asymptomatic carriers on Saturday, the city municipal health commission said on Sunday.

The lockdown has slowed China’s shipbuilding plans and may affect the launch of the country’s third aircraft carrier, the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported on Sunday.

The People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) was widely expected to launch the aircraft carrier around its 73rd anniversary on April 23.

“But the plan faces delay as the rampant pandemic in Shanghai has delayed the transport of some key components,” the Post quoted a source as saying.

Construction of the Type 003 aircraft carrier has been underway at the Jiangnan Shipyard on Shanghai’s Changxing Island since 2017 and was expected to be ready for launch early this year.

Recent satellite images from Google Earth showed construction of the nearly 320-metre-long platform is almost complete.

According to the photos, covers have been put over the vessel’s three catapults, indicating they are ready, but the two elevators to lift aircraft from the carrier’s hangars have not been fitted fully.

China’s first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, a refit of the Soviet-era ship which was commissioned in 2012 is so far the only Chinese aircraft carrier with initial operational capability or the basic level of combat readiness.

China launched its first indigenously built aircraft carrier Shandong in 2019.

However, no official reason has been given for why Shandong has not reached the combat-readiness stage, the Post report said.

The vessel’s frame was based on its sister ship, but its interior construction, weapons systems, and training operations are closer to those of the US’ Nimitz-class aircraft carriers, which team up with destroyers, frigates, attack submarines and supply vessels to form a strike group.

Both are conventionally powered carriers – as is the Type 003 – while the country’s fourth carrier, on which construction started last year, is likely to be powered by nuclear reactors, the report said.

China plans to build at least four aircraft carrier strike groups by 2030 to become the world’s second-biggest modern blue-water navy after the US, it said.

Meanwhile, apart from Shanghai, 13 other provincial-level regions in China reported new local COVID-19 cases, including 167 in the northeastern province of Jilin, the National Health Commission said on Sunday.

Shanghai has reported 21,582 locally-transmitted asymptomatic infections of the coronavirus virus out of a total of 22,512 local asymptomatic carriers, the Commission said.

As many as 30,170 close contacts were released from medical observation in China on Saturday, it said.

No new deaths from COVID-19 have been reported, the Commission said.

Previous Post

Rising fuel, CNG prices: Auto, taxi, mini bus drivers in Delhi to go on strike on Monday

Next Post

RBI looking for at least 50,000 sq ft office space in BKC, South Mumbai

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

RBI discontinues investment fluctuation reserve requirement for banks

RBI holds meeting of Steering Sub Committee of J&K SLBC
May 18, 2026

Mumbai: The Reserve Bank on Monday discontinued the requirement for commercial banks to maintain Investment Fluctuation Reserve (IFR), an additional...

Read moreDetails

India to keep buying Russian oil regardless of US sanctions waivers, says official

Iran Crisis: No immediate oil disruption for India; Russia pivot possible if conflict drags on
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: India has been purchasing Russian oil irrespective of US sanctions waivers and will continue to do so based...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi lands in Sweden; to hold talks on trade, technology, defence

Nation responds to PM’s call for fuel conservation
May 18, 2026

Gothenburg (Sweden): Prime Minister Narendra Modi landed in Sweden on Sunday, where he will hold talks on trade, technology, defence...

Read moreDetails

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub

Space intel giant ICEYE chooses India for first Asia-Pacific satellite manufacturing hub
May 18, 2026

New Delhi:  ICEYE, a global leader in space-based intelligence, is set to establish its first Indian production facility within the...

Read moreDetails

Govt imposes import curbs on silver

Govt imposes import curbs on silver
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: Within days of levying high customs duties on precious metals, the government on Saturday imposed import curbs on...

Read moreDetails

NCB seizes first-ever consignment of Captagon drug worth Rs 182 crore

NCB seizes first-ever consignment of Captagon drug worth Rs 182 crore
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: The Narcotics Control Bureau has busted an international drug syndicate involved in the trafficking of Captagon and seized...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
RBI sets up panel to suggest steps for strengthening, consolidating UCBs

RBI looking for at least 50,000 sq ft office space in BKC, South Mumbai

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.