• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, May 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Govt declares Nagaland ‘disturbed area’ for 6 more months amid demands for AFSPA withdrawal

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
December 30, 2021
in NATION
A A
0
Govt declares Nagaland ‘disturbed area’ for 6 more months amid demands for AFSPA withdrawal
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi:  Nagaland will continue to be a “disturbed area” for another six months under the AFSPA as the condition of the state remained “dangerous”, a move which comes amid growing clamour for withdrawal of special powers to armed forces especially after the death of 14 civilians earlier this month in a case of mistaken identity.

In a notification issued on Thursday, the Ministry of Home Affairs said that the disturbed area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act was extended for six months from December 30.

More News

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

Load More

The state has been under the controversial AFSPA since 1958. The Act is an offshoot of Britishers Armed Forces Special Ordinance of 1942.

The extension comes three days after the Centre constituted a high-level committee under the chairmanship of Registrar General and Census Commissioner Vivek Joshi with Additional Secretary in the Union Home Ministry Piyush Goyal as its Member-Secretary.

The Chief Secretary and Director General of Police of Nagaland and the Director General of Assam Rifles are among the other members of the committee.

The committee is supposed to submit its report within 45 days.

Thursday’s notification said the Centre “is of the opinion that the area comprising the whole of the state of Nagaland is in such a disturbed and dangerous condition that the use of armed forces in aid of the civil power is necessary.

“Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (No.28 of 1958) the Central Government hereby declares that whole of the State of Nagaland to be ‘disturbed area’ for a period of six months with effect from December 30, 2021, for the purpose of the said Act,” the home ministry notification issued by Goyal, the member secretary in the high-level panel, said.

People in Nagaland have been demanding withdrawal of AFSPA and it gained momentum after the army killed six civilians mistaking them as insurgents on December 3 and later on bumped off eight villagers in Mon district of the state as the villagers went on rampage and had killed one soldier in anger.

The anger among the people pushed the Nagaland government to call a special one-day session on December 20 where the assembly unanimously resolved to demand the repeal of AFSPA.

It said that the House “appreciated and supported” citizens and civil society organisations over their demand for the repeal of AFSPA and delivery of justice and appealed to “all sections to follow democratic norms and non-violence in the collective endeavour towards realisation of peace and delivery of justice”.

The AFSPA empowers security forces to conduct operations and arrest anyone without any prior warrant besides giving immunity from arrest and prosecution to the security forces if they shoot someone dead.

 

Previous Post

States demand extension of GST compensation for another 5 years

Next Post

Congress govts delayed projects, forced people to migrate from U’khand villages: Modi

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors

Strategic partnership: India, Netherlands ink 17 pacts on defence, critical minerals, other sectors
May 18, 2026

The Hague: Driven by shifting global geopolitics, India and the Netherlands elevated their ties to a strategic partnership and inked...

Read moreDetails

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom

‘Vibrant Democracy’: India trashes allegations on declining minority rights, media freedom
May 18, 2026

The Hague: India has flatly rejected allegations of declining media freedom and erosion of religious and minority rights, asserting that...

Read moreDetails

Great Nicobar project a recipe for ecological disaster: Ramesh to Defence minister

No shortage of fuel, essential supplies in India despite West Asia crisis: Rajnath Singh
May 18, 2026

New Delhi: Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Sunday wrote to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the Great Nicobar Island Project,...

Read moreDetails

India’s aspirations ‘no longer limited to its borders’: Modi to diaspora in Netherlands

‘Challenging’ situation due to West Asia war, says PM Modi
May 17, 2026

The Hague:  Terming India a "land of opportunities", Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Saturday that the country is undergoing...

Read moreDetails

CPI(M) decries verdict in Bhojshala-Kamal Maula Mosque case, terms it matter of ‘grave’ concern

Poll result setback for BJP, INDIA bloc needs to be wary of Hindutva authoritarianism: CPI(M)
May 17, 2026

New Delhi: The Communist Party of India (Marxist) on Saturday termed the recent Madhya Pradesh High Court judgment in the...

Read moreDetails

NEET paper leak: Delhi court sends kingpin Kulkarni, accused Waghmare to 10-day CBI custody

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
May 17, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Saturday sent the alleged kingpin in the NEET paper leak case, P V Kulkarni,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
PM Modi clocks 20 meetings in his 65-hour stay in US

Congress govts delayed projects, forced people to migrate from U'khand villages: Modi

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.