• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Typhoon leaves 31 dead, many homes roofless in Philippines

AP/ PTI by AP/ PTI
December 18, 2021
in WORLD
A A
0
Typhoon leaves 31 dead, many homes roofless in Philippines
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Manila :  A powerful typhoon left at least 19 people dead, knocked down power and communications in entire provinces and wrought widespread destruction mostly in the central Philippines, officials said Saturday. A governor said her island has been “leveled to the ground.”

Typhoon Rai blew away Friday night into the South China Sea after rampaging through southern and central island provinces, where more than 300,000 people in its path were evacuated to safety in advance in a pre-emptive move officials say may have saved a lot of lives.

More News

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

Load More

At its strongest, Rai packed sustained winds of 195 kilometers (121 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 270 kph (168 mph), one of the most powerful in recent years to hit the disaster-prone Southeast Asian archipelago, which lies between the Pacific Ocean and the South China Sea. The typhoon slammed into the country’s southeastern coast Thursday but the extent of casualties and destruction remained unclear two days after with entire provinces still without power and cellphone connection.

The government’s main disaster-response agency said at least 31 people were reported killed, many after being hit by falling trees, but it added it was validating most of the deaths. At least three were injured and one was missing.

Officials on Dinagat Islands, one of the first provinces to be lashed by the typhoon’s ferocious winds, remained cut off Saturday due to downed power and communication lines. But its governor, Arlene Bag-ao, managed to post a statement on the province’s website to say that the island of about 180,000 “has been leveled to the ground.” She pleaded for food, water, temporary shelters, fuel, hygiene kits and medical supplies. She said only a few casualties have been reported in the capital so far because other towns remain isolated.

“We may have survived, but we cannot do the same in the coming days because of our limited capacities as an island province,” Bag-ao said, adding some of Dinagat’s hospitals could not open due to damage. “Most of our commercial and cargo vessels … are now unsuitable for sea voyages, effectively cutting us off from the rest of the country.”

Vice Gov. Nilo Demerey managed to reach a nearby province and told DZMM radio network that at least six residents died and that “almost 95% of houses in Dinagat have no roof,” and even emergency shelters were destroyed.

“We’re currently doing repairs because even our evacuation centers were destroyed. There are no shelters, the churches, gymnasium, schools, public markets and even the capitol were all shattered,” Demerey said.

Pictures posted on Dinagat’s website show low-slung houses with roofs either blown off or damaged and surrounded by tin roof sheets and debris. The nearby island of Siargao, known as the surfing capital of the Philippines, also was pummeled by the typhoon.

In central Bohol province, which was directly hit by the typhoon, the coast guard said its personnel on board rubber boats rescued residents who were trapped on roofs and trees, as waters rose rapidly. It released footage showing coast guard staff helping people from the roof of a house nearly engulfed by brownish floodwater to a rubber boat. They also help a villager climb down from a tree above the floodwater while another man, also wearing an orange life vest, waits for his turn.

With government contingency funds used for the coronavirus pandemic, President Rodrigo Duterte said he would look for money to help the provinces. He planned to visit the devastated region this weekend.

About 20 storms and typhoons batter the Philippines each year. The archipelago is located in the seismically active Pacific “Ring of Fire” region, making it one of the world’s most disaster-prone countries.

Previous Post

12 killed in massive blast in Pakistan’s Karachi city

Next Post

Semifinal spot assured, India to clash with Japan in Asian Champions Trophy hockey

AP/ PTI

AP/ PTI

Related Posts

21 killed, 61 injured in blast at fireworks factory in China

Director FES issues advisory on fire prevention
May 5, 2026

Beijing: At least 21 people were killed and 61 others injured in a massive explosion at a fireworks factory in...

Read moreDetails

Canada declares Khalistan extremists as ‘national security threat’

UK review warns against anti-India rhetoric over Kashmir, pro-Khalistan extremism
May 3, 2026

Ottawa: Canada's intelligence agency has declared Khalistani extremists a "national security threat", adding that the group uses institutions to promote...

Read moreDetails

India is a great country: Trump after controversial social media repost

April 24, 2026

New Delhi:  The US on Thursday sought to control the damage done by a controversial social media repost by US...

Read moreDetails

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp

US, Iran agree to 2-week ceasefire as Trump seizes diplomatic offramp
April 8, 2026

Tehran: US President Donald Trump pulled back on his threats to launch devastating strikes on Iran late Tuesday, swerving to...

Read moreDetails

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Harmanpreet’s double strike hands India 3-1 win over Pakistan in ACT hockey

Semifinal spot assured, India to clash with Japan in Asian Champions Trophy hockey

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.