• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Delhi HC questions trial court order extending probe period in Salahuddin’s son’s case

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 26, 2018
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Delhi HC questions trial court order extending probe period in Salahuddin’s son’s case

Salahuddin’s son

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi, Apr 25 :The Delhi High Court today questioned a trial court’s order extending the period of investigation in a “terror funding” case, allegedly involving Syed Shahid Yousuf, son of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin.

The high court said that a special judge has no power to extend the period of investigation in a case and it only has the power to extend the judicial custody of the accused.

More News

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Load More

“What business a judge has to say that the period of investigation is 180 days for completion of probe,” a bench of justices S Muralidhar and I S Mehta said.

The court’s remarks came while hearing the bail plea of Yousuf whose counsel said he was a government employee and was posted as agricultural assistant in Budgam of central Kashmir when he was arrested by the NIA on October 24 last year.

The accused challenged the trial court’s two orders of February and March — rejecting him bail and extending judicial custody.

The counsel said Yousuf’s only crime was that he was son of a person who was also an accused in the case and the allegations against him are that he was a “terrorist”. The allegations were that Yousuf received money from his father which was “terror fund” and purportedly sent from Pakistan, advocate Rajat Kumar said.

The NIA, however, opposed the plea saying it was not maintainable and there can be no appeal against an interlocutory order passed by the trial court.

Additional Solicitor General Maninder Acharya, representing the NIA, said the application filed in the trial court by the agency was badly worded and it had submitted that as its investigation could not be completed in 90 days, it required the custody of the accused for completion of the probe.

The bench, however, said it was clearly mentioned in the NIA’s application that it was seeking extension of time to complete the investigation and the trial court also allowed its prayer and extended the time to complete the probe by 180 days.

“How can the court pass this order? You made a wrong prayer and the judge also allowed it without applying its mind. I don’t think, any judge can control the period of investigation. What is worrying us is not only your (NIA) mistake but that our judicial officers mistake,” the bench said.

It added that the statutes, especially relating to terror matters, should be taken lightly and the agencies and prosecutors should apply their minds.

The court listed the matter for further hearing on May 02.

Forty-two-year-old Yousuf is in judicial custody and his bail plea was dismissed by the trial court here on March 07.

He had sought bail saying that he was not required further by the investing agency and no purpose will be served by keeping him in custody.

The NIA had earlier alleged that the accused had links with proscribed militant organisations like Hizb-ul-Mujahideen.

The NIA had on April 20 filed a charge-sheet before the trial court and charged Yousuf with indulging in unlawful activities and raising funds for militant operations in a 2011 case.

The final report has alleged that Yusuf had “hatched a conspiracy to received funds from Pakistan through hawala channels to spread terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir”. The NIA has accused him of committing various offences punishable under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The NIA had earlier said that the case was registered on the basis of information regarding funds from Pakistan being sent to Jammu and Kashmir through hawala channels via Delhi “to spread terrorism”.

The NIA had in 2011 arrested several persons including Ghulam Mohammad Bhat with Rs 21.2 lakh, alleging that Yousuf was “one of the several Indian contacts of Bhat” who had been in touch with him for receiving money transfer codes.

It had alleged that Yousuf’s involvement was found in collecting funds from a militant outfit in Saudi Arabia as well as from other accused on directions of his father Mohammad Yousuf Shah alias Syed Salahuddin, self-styled supreme commander of the Hizb-ul-Mujahideen.

Syed Salahuddin was declared a “Specially Designated Global Terrorist” by the US Department of State in June last year.

The NIA has claimed that so far Yousuf has received a total of nearly Rs 4.5 lakh through eight international wire transfers.

It had also registered two other cases related to terror funding — one in November 2011 and the other in May 2017. It had filed a charge-sheet against 10 people including Salahuddin in the April 2011 case.

In the recent case, the NIA arrested various people including some close relatives and aides of separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani.

Previous Post

No need of revealing identity of rape victims for public sympathy: Delhi HC

Next Post

Salman Khan meets Mehbooba Mufti

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

SC flags low conviction in UAPA cases, says 90% trials culminate in acquittals

SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday flagged low conviction rates under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and said that...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas

LG Sinha reviews construction work at Pantha chowk Yatri Niwas
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Monday reviewed the ongoing construction works and pilgrim facilities at Shri Amarnath Shrine Board...

Read moreDetails

Jailed MP Engineer Rashid’s father dies at 85

Out on interim bail, Engineer Rashid meets ailing father in Srinagar hospital
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The father of jailed Baramulla MP Sheikh Abdul Rashid, also known as Engineer Rashid, died at a hospital in...

Read moreDetails

CM expresses grief over demise of father of MP, MLA Khursheed Ahmad

CM assures priority redressal of public concerns
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has expressed deep grief and sorrow over the passing away of Khazir Mohammad Sheikh, father...

Read moreDetails

Person cannot be declared “history-sheeter”, placed under surveillance ‘mechanically’ HC

PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC
May 19, 2026

Srinagar: The High Court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh has ruled that a person cannot be declared a “history-sheeter”...

Read moreDetails

Have urged chief justices of all HCs to conduct virtual hearings: CJI

‘Imaandari’ not mere ornament to character, it sustains justice and reputation: CJI
May 19, 2026

New Delhi: Chief Justice of India Surya Kant said on Monday that he had requested the chief justices of all...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Salman Khan meets Mehbooba Mufti in Kashmir

Salman Khan meets Mehbooba Mufti

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.