• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, November 29, 2025
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Lockdown: J&K reports 16 rapes, 64 molestation cases, 65 distress calls

KI News by KI News
April 29, 2020
in Latest News
A A
0
Preliminary medical exam of accused shows he is not minor
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir reported 16 rape, 64 molestation and one eve-teasing cases besides there have been 65 calls of violence by women during the lockdown period, Social Welfare Department has informed Jammu and Kashmir High Court.

In its report, Principal Secretary, Department of Social Welfare, stated that during January to March, 2020, 81 cases of domestic violence stands registered in the J&K. During the lockdown period, the report stated that 16 cases of rape, 64 cases of molestation and one case of eve-teasing have been reported.

More News

NC Govt likely to reshuffle, expand cabinet in Jan 2026

Pre-dawn blaze damages OPD building of JVC Hospital in Srinagar

India’s GDP Growth Strengthens at 8.2%, Economic Outlook Remains Robust

Load More

“Rs. 10 lakhs for each district of J&K has been sanctioned out of SDRF fund for COVID-19 containment for victims of domestic violence for providing temporary accommodation, food clothing, medical care etc.” he said.

Additionally, the Department of Disaster Management, Relief, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (DMRR) Government of J&K has issued directions to all the Deputy Commissioner for designating 10 beds in each District Quarantine Centre exclusively and accessible for victims of domestic violence in the J&K, the officer said.

Amit Gupta, Additional Advocate General drew courts attention to the order passed by the Deputy Commissioners identifying the locations of theses safe spaces for the victims of domestic violence.

“We are informed that a total of 1314 calls have been received from the affected persons on the emergency number 181 from 24th March 2020 to 24th April 2020, out of which 65 are related to violence against women and the legal process stands initiated in these (calls),” observed a division bench of Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice Rajnesh Oswal.

“The remaining 956 calls were reported by migrant labourers, who were in distress on account of the lock down. Extensive publicity is being given for putting the information regarding measures available for the victims of domestic violence in the public domain”.

So far as designation of informal safe spaces for women for reporting domestic violence or abuse without alerting the perpetrators was concerned, the Social Welfare Department has informed that it has notified Anganwadi Workers for the reason that women or complainants would not be comfortable in expressing their personal issues with the male members of society.

“We had cited the example of grocery stores and pharmacies in foreign countries being notified as such safe spaces for the reason that every family is accessing grocery stores and pharmacies even in the lockdown period,” the court said.

Women in distress would not have easy access to the Anganwadi Workers, the court said.

“Ease of access has to be a primary concern for notifying an authority, especially in the urban areas. It may not be correct that woman, as a rule, would be uncomfortable in making a complaint against the violence to male members of the society,” the court observed, underlining that it was essential for the Social Welfare Department to consider ease of access of the women in distress, as a basis for notifying the authority.

“Let the Department of Social Welfare examine this aspect of the matter and consider notifying such appropriate spaces so that women in difficulty have easy access to them,” the court said.

The court also said that it appeared to it that while recording its last order, certain other specific groups in the society, who need special protection, were “overlooked”.

“These include senior citizens, children, the disabled and transgenders. Elderly abuse and violence against children as well as violence against transgenders is rampant in society at all points of time,” the court observed.

Just like violence against women, the court according to Global News Service said, such violence may have aggravated in the lockdown situation and resultant confinement.

“The directions made by us on the 16th April, 2020 would squarely apply to these groups of the community as well,” the court said and asked the Department of Social Welfare and Member Secretary, J&K State Legal Services Authority to examine the requirements and steps necessary to mitigate the complaints and difficulties of victims of elderly abuse, child violence, violence against disabled and transgenders in Jammu and Kashmir as well as Ladakh.

A report of measures in place steps underway, and those contemplated regarding them be placed before the court before the next date of hearing, the court said, as per GNS.

Meanwhile, a report was filed by M. K. Sharma, Member Secretary, J&K State Legal Services Authority. However, the court said the same does not inform about the compliance with the orders regarding payment of maintenance.

“For instance, it is reported from Ganderbal that  in most of cases maintenance under Section 23 of the Domestic Violence Act granted. However, this is not sufficient. The maintenance granted must reach the persons in need thereof,” the court said and ordered that it shall be informed about the manner in which the maintenance granted was being paid to the women in distress. “The report informs us that during the period of COVID-19 lock up, 19 cases in all under Section 498-A of the Code of Criminal Procedure have been registered in 20 districts in UT of Jammu and Kashmir and no case has been registered in Ladakh,” the court said, adding, “Let these cases be followed up and relief, of whatever kind required by the complainants, be made available to them”.  (GNS)

Previous Post

Govt allows movement of stranded people with conditions

Next Post

Man shot at by militants in Kupwara

KI News

KI News

Kashmir Images is an English language daily newspaper published from Srinagar (J&K), India. The newspaper is one of the largest circulated English dailies of Kashmir and its hard copies reach every nook and corner of Kashmir Valley besides Jammu and Ladakh region.

Related Posts

NC Govt likely to reshuffle, expand cabinet in Jan 2026

CM announces revival of ‘Darbar Move’
by KI News
November 29, 2025

Srinagar: The ruling National Conference-led government is likely to go for a cabinet reshuffle and expansion in January 2026, sources...

Read moreDetails

Pre-dawn blaze damages OPD building of JVC Hospital in Srinagar

Two Insaas rifles gutted in fire in Army camp in Rajouri
by KI News
November 29, 2025

Srinagar: A pre-dawn fire damaged several rooms of the Outpatient Department (OPD) building of JVC Hospital, Bemina, Srinagar, on Saturday,...

Read moreDetails

India’s GDP Growth Strengthens at 8.2%, Economic Outlook Remains Robust

GDP growth slows to 2-year low of 5.4% in Q2 on poor show by manufacturing, weak consumption
by KI News
November 28, 2025

New Delhi: India’s economy continues to show strong momentum, with real GDP growth estimated at 8.2% in Q2 of FY...

Read moreDetails

Deliberate conspiracy to undermine elected Govt: CM Omar on Demolition Drives

NC only party taking BJP head on: CM Omar
by KI News
November 28, 2025

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday said that recent demolition drives have been carried out without the knowledge or...

Read moreDetails

NC working committee meeting resumes in Srinagar, party likely to pass resolutions

NC holds working committee meet sans Srinagar MP Rahullah Mehdi
by Press Trust of india
November 28, 2025

Srinagar: The meeting of the ruling National Conference's (NC) powerful working committee resumed here on Friday, with the party expected...

Read moreDetails

Crime Branch Kashmir files chargesheet in land scam, Patwari and accomplice sent to custody

CBK’s special crime wing carries out searches at 5 locations in Sgr, Budgam
by KI News
November 28, 2025

Srinagar: The Economic Offences Wing of Crime Branch Kashmir on Friday said it has filed a chargesheet against two individuals...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
JeM militant killed in Khrew

Man shot at by militants in Kupwara

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.