• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

NC MP Ruhullah Mehdi puts J&K govt on notice over quota policy

Vows to join protests after Parliament session

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
November 26, 2025
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar:  Estranged National Conference Lok Sabha MP Aga Syed Ruhullah Mehdi has asked the party-led government in Jammu and Kashmir to resolve the reservation issue before the Winter session of Parliament ends, saying he will join the quota protests if no action is taken.

The Winter session will be held from December 1 to 19, with 15 working days.

More News

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

Load More

Mehdi has backed the demand of the general category candidates for a review of the existing reservation policy. He also accused the Union territory administration of ignoring the concerns of educated youth.

“What will it take for those in the government to understand the agony and hopelessness that our aspiring youths are facing? What will make them understand that this is suffocating an entire young generation and pushing them to the wall?

“Doesn’t today’s case in the Vaishno Devi University about students with merit open their eyes? Don’t they feel the urgency to resolve this matter and give some relief to our youth?” Mehdi, the Budgam MP and an influential Shia leader, asked in a post on X.

Mehdi had joined student protests outside Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s residence in December last year, seeking rationalisation of quota.

Abdullah later set up a Cabinet sub-committee to look into the grievances raised by various sections of aspirants against the existing reservation policy in the Union territory, and submit a report within six months.

On October 16, Abdullah said the Cabinet had accepted the report of the sub-committee, and the same was to be sent to the Lieutenant Governor for his approval.

“Last year, they said six months. Those six months have turned into a year. Few weeks ago, before the Budgam Assembly by-election, they said a few days without letting anyone know whether they had resolved the issue. Those few days are now turning into more than a month,” Mehdi, who did not campaign for the party candidate in the Budgam bypoll, which the NC lost, said.

He added that even a future resolution would not make up for the loss suffered by the job aspirants.

“Now even if they solve this issue sometime in future, which I think is unlikely, what will compensate for the years they have already lost and the vacancies which are already gone?” he asked.

Mehdi added that if the government does not act by December 20, he will again join the protesters.

“I will sit with them again the way we did last December. And this time it will not be for a day,” he said.

In another post, Mehdi hit out at the BJP for raising objections to Muslims outnumbering Hindus in MBBS admission at the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU).

“So, now we’re told Muslim students shouldn’t study at Vaishno Devi University because it has Hindu donors, even though it’s a state-backed institution,” he said.

He also questioned the government’s decision to appoint non-Muslims to Waqf boards while at the same time objecting to Muslim enrolment at the SMVDU.

“How does the BJP justify these two opposite positions? What principle is at work here? It is a very selective use of religion, one that always seems to run in only one direction,” he said.

Chief Minister Abdullah on Monday took strong exception to the BJP’s stance on admissions in the SMVDU, and said any move to grant MBBS seats without merit would require the Supreme Court’s approval.

“When the Assembly passed the Bill for the establishment of the Mata Vaishno Devi University, where was it written that students from a particular religion will be kept outside its purview? At that time, it was said that admissions will not be given on the basis of religion but only on the basis of merit,” the chief minister said.

The SMVDIME was sanctioned 50 MBBS seats this year. However, admissions given to 42 students from a Muslim community in the maiden batch for the 2025-26 academic year have sparked a controversy, with right-wing Hindu groups questioning the process, and demanding “minority institution” status for the newly-established institute.

Officials, however, claimed that admissions were given on merit as the institute had not been granted minority status and, therefore, no reservation criteria based on religion could be applied.

Previous Post

DyCM says merit, not religion or caste, should guide admissions

Next Post

Reservation issue will be resolved soon, assures Edu minister Itoo

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit
February 20, 2026

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday strongly pitched for democratising artificial intelligence, and said some countries believe that...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Thursday said that the return of the Kashmiri Pandit community to the valley, with...

Read moreDetails

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate
February 20, 2026

JAMMU: The Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly today passed grants amounting to ₹61,575.88 lakh for the General Administration Department (GAD),...

Read moreDetails

CM pledges regularisation of daily-wagers in 2026

Omar calls for minority status to Mata Vaishno Devi medical college to resume its operation
February 20, 2026

Jammu, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday said the government will initiate the process of regularising daily-rated, ad-hoc...

Read moreDetails

Action against big sharks first, others later: CM Abdullah on land encroachment

Omar Abdullah presents Rs 1.27 lakh cr budget, announces welfare/development measures to boost economy
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Taking a firm stand against encroachment on government land, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday assured action in the...

Read moreDetails

CM pitches for separate department to study climate change

31 Jammu colonies regularised, further process stayed by HC: CM
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday called for the formation of a specific department which will study climate change...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Reservation issue will be resolved soon, assures Edu minister Itoo

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.