• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

HC seeks police officers’ statements in case of Gujjar youth’s death after ‘torture’ in Kathua

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
October 11, 2025
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
PM Modi inaugurating incomplete projects for votes: JKPCC

Photo/ Kashmir Images

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Jammu: The High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has sought personal appearance of two police officers — part of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) — to record their statements in a case related to the death by suicide of a Gujjar youth after alleged custodial torture in Kathua district earlier this year.

A single-judge bench of Justice Wasim Sadiq Nargal passed the directions while hearing the case on Wednesday, asking the SIT head, who is the Superintendent of Police (Operations), and Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO), Billawar, to appear in court on the next date of hearing on October 27.

More News

Cresent sighted, Ramzan begins today

Ramzan brings festive bustling to markets in Kashmir

J&K’s debt at Rs 1.37 lakh cr for FY25 to be offset by increased GSDP: CM Abdullah

Load More

Makhan Din (25), a Gujjar youth from the Billawar area, ended his life by consuming insecticide on February 4 after alleged police torture and recorded the act on a video, claiming innocence and denying any connection with terrorists, prompting separate probes by police and the local administration.

“Record reveals that when the matter was listed before this court on April 25, Neeraj Padyar, SDPO, Billawar, who was part of the SIT headed by SP (Operations) investigating the case, submitted that the SHO of Billawar police station already stood transferred and the other two officials, against whom the complainants have levelled allegations, were not posted in the same police station.

“In addition, the SDPO, Billawar, stated at the Bar that no such persons, namely Jugal and Harish, were posted at the Billawar police station.

“However, Appu Singh Slathia, the counsel appearing for the petitioners, submits that she has placed on record electronic evidence by virtue of a pen drive, which indicates that Jugal and Harish were also present on February 5 when the deceased was taken to his residence and thereafter, he committed suicide in a mosque at Bhatodi village, Billawar,” the judge said.

He said the petitioners further submitted that even at the time when the body of the deceased was taken to the hospital, four police officers were present, including Jugal and Harish.

“Since, there is an ambiguity with regard to the statement so made by the concerned SDPO, Billawar, on April 25, this court deems it proper to direct him to remain present before this court on the next date of hearing, with a view to record his detailed statement before the registrar judicial of this court to proceed further in the matter,” Justice Nargal said.

For proper appreciation of the matter, the judge said, it is necessary to verify whether the police officers, namely Jugal and Harish, were ever posted at the Billawar police station, or whether they were present at the time when the body was taken to the hospital, or when the deceased was taken to his residence.

In addition, the court also sought the personal presence of the head of the SIT, with a view to apprise the court with regard to the investigation so carried as on date in light of the fact that the SIT was constituted on March 10.

Government advocate Suneel Malhotra has been directed to produce the case detail file (of the SIT) on the next date of hearing, besides apprising the court about the investigation being conducted in the case.

Taking serious note of the failure of the respondents – Chief Secretary and Home Secretary – to submit their response to the notices issued to them on April 16, the court granted them one more opportunity to file their response through their counsel.

“The court deems it proper to grant one more opportunity to the (government) counsel for respondents 1 and 2 to file their response within a period of one week positively, failing which the matter will be heard on its own merits on the next date of hearing,” the judge said.

Previous Post

Another missing soldier’s body found in Anantnag

Next Post

NC names Choudhary Ramzan, Sajad Kichloo, Shammi Oberoi for Rajya Sabha polls

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Cresent sighted, Ramzan begins today

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
February 19, 2026

Srinagar: Ramzan fasts will begin on Thursday in Jammu and Kashmir and the rest of the country as the crescent...

Read moreDetails

Ramzan brings festive bustling to markets in Kashmir

Ramzan brings festive bustling to markets in Kashmir
February 19, 2026

Srinagar:  The hustle and bustle of Ramzan shopping reached its peak in Kashmir Wednesday with markets across the Valley bustling...

Read moreDetails

J&K’s debt at Rs 1.37 lakh cr for FY25 to be offset by increased GSDP: CM Abdullah

J&K’s debt at Rs 1.37 lakh cr for FY25 to be offset by increased GSDP: CM Abdullah
February 19, 2026

Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir's total debt in the financial year 2024-25 is estimated at Rs 1,37,067 crore, 48 percent of...

Read moreDetails

LG lays foundation stone of Shankaracharya Temple in Katra

LG lays foundation stone of Shankaracharya Temple in Katra
February 19, 2026

Jammu: Conceived in 1967, the foundation stone of Adi Shankaracharya Temple at Katra was laid today at Katra by the...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha increases annual procurement to Rs 12 crore for Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine from SHGs

LG Sinha increases annual procurement to Rs 12 crore for Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine from SHGs
February 19, 2026

Jammu:  Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Wednesday announced enhancement of the annual procurement of Puja Samagri and...

Read moreDetails

43 CRPF temporary operating bases set up in J&K post Pahalgam attack: Officials

Over 2,000 CRPF personnel being deployed in Rajouri, Poonch
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  The CRPF has created 43 temporary operating bases in the higher reaches of Jammu and Kashmir in the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
NC names Choudhary Ramzan, Sajad Kichloo, Shammi Oberoi for Rajya Sabha polls

NC names Choudhary Ramzan, Sajad Kichloo, Shammi Oberoi for Rajya Sabha polls

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.