• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Govt cancels FCRA licence of organisation founded by activist Wangchuk over ‘irregularities’

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
September 26, 2025
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Will go on 28-day fast from Aug 15 if govt doesn’t initiate talks on our demands: Sonam Wangchuk

File Photo

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Union Home Ministry on Thursday cancelled the FCRA licence of Students’ Educational and Cultural Movement of Ladakh (SECMOL) founded by climate activist Sonam Wangchuk with “immediate effect”, a government order said.

The action of the ministry was based on several alleged discrepancies detected in the accounts of the organisation including a fund transfer from Sweden which the ministry found was against “national interest”.

More News

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

Load More

The development comes a day after four persons were killed in widespread clashes between protesters supporting the movement for statehood to Ladakh and security personnel amid a shutdown in Leh. The government blamed Wangchuk for the mob violence.

When contacted over phone, Wangchuk told PTI that he was just a donor for the organisation and that he teaches there. The activist also said he did not know about the cancellation of the FCRA licence.

Besides SECMOL, Wangchuk also founded Himalayan Institute of Alternatives Ladakh (HIAL) which is facing CBI inquiry for alleged violations of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, or FCRA, norms.

SECMOL was granted the licence to accept foreign contributions for undertaking cultural and educational programme, the order said.

The home ministry had earlier issued a show cause notice to SECMOL seeking explanation on various irregularities observed in the finances of the organisation.

It was alleged that during the financial year 2021-22, Wangchuk deposited Rs 3.5 lakh into the FCRA account of the association in violation of section 17 of the Act.

According to the explanation given by SECMOL, it was the sale proceeds of the old bus procured on July 14, 2015 out of FCRA funds. It said the sale proceeds for any asset which was procured from FCRA’s funds need to be deposited only in FCRA’s account as per the guidelines.

The ministry said that the amount has been received in cash in violation of section 17 of the Act which is not properly disclosed by the organisation in its reply.

“Further, an amount of Rs 3.35 lakh has been intimated by the association…as FC donation from Sonam Wangchuk. However, this transaction is not reflected in the FCRA account in violation of section 18 of the Act,” it said.

The ministry also red flagged another transfer of Rs 54,600 local funds in FCRA accounts of the organisation which the latter claimed was a mistake.

A foreign contribution from Sweden of around Rs 4.93 lakh for creating awareness among youth on issues such as migration, climate change, global warming, food security and sovereignty and organic farming through different workshops and trainings is also under the scanner of the ministry.

Rejecting the arguments of SECMOL that the funds were utilized strictly in line with the organisation’s objectives for educational purposes only, the ministry has said the foreign contribution cannot be accepted for study on sovereignty of the nation as it is against “national interests”.

Citing several other discrepancies in the accounts of the organisation, the home ministry, in its order issued on Thursday, said it invoked its powers under Section 14 of the FCRA to cancel the licence granted to the organisation with immediate effect.

Earlier in the day, Wangchuk alleged that the government was building a case against him to put him behind bars.

The activist, who has been leading the peaceful agitation for statehood and constitutional safeguards for Ladakh, also raised the alarm over his personal safety.

“I see they are building up a case to bring me under the Public Safety Act and throw me in jail for two years,” he said.

“I am ready for that, but Sonam Wangchuk in jail may cause them more problems than free Sonam Wangchuk,” he added.

Previous Post

Mufti blames Centre’s ‘wrong policies’ for violence in Ladakh

Next Post

Leh arson: CM accuses BJP of blaming others for its failures

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit
February 20, 2026

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday strongly pitched for democratising artificial intelligence, and said some countries believe that...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Thursday said that the return of the Kashmiri Pandit community to the valley, with...

Read moreDetails

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate
February 20, 2026

JAMMU: The Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly today passed grants amounting to ₹61,575.88 lakh for the General Administration Department (GAD),...

Read moreDetails

CM pledges regularisation of daily-wagers in 2026

Omar calls for minority status to Mata Vaishno Devi medical college to resume its operation
February 20, 2026

Jammu, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday said the government will initiate the process of regularising daily-rated, ad-hoc...

Read moreDetails

Action against big sharks first, others later: CM Abdullah on land encroachment

Omar Abdullah presents Rs 1.27 lakh cr budget, announces welfare/development measures to boost economy
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Taking a firm stand against encroachment on government land, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday assured action in the...

Read moreDetails

CM pitches for separate department to study climate change

31 Jammu colonies regularised, further process stayed by HC: CM
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday called for the formation of a specific department which will study climate change...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
CM holds pre-budget consultations with stakeholders in tourism, industries, education

Leh arson: CM accuses BJP of blaming others for its failures

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.