• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

Yasin Malik trial: SC asks J&K HC registrar to ensure proper VC facilities in Jammu court

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
January 21, 2025
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
Yasin Malik virtually appears in Delhi HC in terror funding case

File Photo

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Registrar General of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court to ensure proper video-conferencing facilities at a Jammu special court hearing two cases against jailed JKLF chief Yasin Malik and others.

A bench comprising Justices Abhay S Oka and Ujjal Bhuyan further directed the Delhi High Court Registrar General to ensure proper video-conferencing facilities in Tihar jail where Malik is lodged in a separate terror financing case.

More News

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

Load More

Both high court registrars were directed to file the status reports on February 18 by the bench, which posted the hearing on the CBI plea on February 21.

“We have perused the observations made by the (special) judge (of the Jammu court). At two places, he has recorded that the video-conference system in his court was not functioning properly,” the court said.

The bench therefore directed the Registrar General of Jammu and Kashmir High Court to look into what was “stated by the learned judge” and “take immediate steps for installing a proper system” to conduct the hearing through video-conferencing.

“The system should be such that there can be effective cross examination by using the system,” it added.

The top court asked the registrar general to “do the needful” and submit a report by February 18 before it after deputing an expert to examine the newly-installed VC system in Jammu court.

“We also direct the registrar in-charge of IT (information technology) of the Delhi High Court to visit the jail at Tihar to see whether (VC) facilities are good enough to enable the first respondent (Yasin Malik) to cross examine witnesses in the trial,” it said.

The bench was hearing a plea of the CBI seeking the transfer of the cases’ trials in the 1989 kidnapping of Rubaiya Sayeed, daughter of former union minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed, and the 1990 Srinagar shootout from Jammu to New Delhi.

At the outset, the bench was informed that except Malik, all other accused were out on bail in the two cases.

The bench suggested it may transfer the trials to Tihar Jail by setting up a special court and other accused may appear through the VC facilities.

The suggestion was opposed by the counsel of the other accused.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the CBI, said it appeared all the accused were working in tandem to delay the trial.

An accused’s counsel, however, said, “What is the harm in having the trial there at Jammu court and have Yasin Malik appear through the VC? It will be difficult travelling all the way to Delhi.”

He said the offences alleged were old and the accused, who were in their 60s and 70s suffered from age-related ailments.

Mehta said while Malik refused to engage a lawyer, others opposed the transfer of trail.

The accused said they were old, but they should have been careful enough in younger days while committing the offences, he said.

The top court on December 18, last year, gave six accused two weeks to respond to the CBI’s plea to transfer the trial of the cases.

The plea is over the two cases — killing of four Indian Air Force personnel on January 25, 1990 in Srinagar and Rubaiya’s abduction on December 8, 1989.

Malik, chief of the banned organisation JKLF, is facing trial in both cases.

The top court was hearing a CBI plea against the September 20, 2022 order of a Jammu trial court directing Malik, serving a life term in Tihar jail, to be produced before it physically to cross-examine prosecution witnesses in the abduction case.

The CBI said Malik was a threat to national security and couldn’t be allowed to be taken outside the Tihar jail premises.

Rubaiya, who was freed five days after her abduction when the then BJP-backed V P Singh government at the Centre released five terrorists in exchange, now lives in Tamil Nadu. She is a prosecution witness for the CBI, which took over the case in early 1990s.

Malik has been lodged in Tihar jail after he was sentenced by a special NIA court in May 2023 in a terror-funding case.

Previous Post

Possibility of snowfall predicted in parts of Kashmir

Next Post

Mysterious deaths: Central team begins probe in affected Rajouri village

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit

PM Modi pitches for democratisation of AI, presents MANAV vision at Impact Summit
February 20, 2026

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday strongly pitched for democratising artificial intelligence, and said some countries believe that...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha

PM Modi committed to return of Kashmir Pandits with dignity: LG Sinha
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Thursday said that the return of the Kashmiri Pandit community to the valley, with...

Read moreDetails

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate
February 20, 2026

JAMMU: The Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly today passed grants amounting to ₹61,575.88 lakh for the General Administration Department (GAD),...

Read moreDetails

CM pledges regularisation of daily-wagers in 2026

Omar calls for minority status to Mata Vaishno Devi medical college to resume its operation
February 20, 2026

Jammu, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday said the government will initiate the process of regularising daily-rated, ad-hoc...

Read moreDetails

Action against big sharks first, others later: CM Abdullah on land encroachment

Omar Abdullah presents Rs 1.27 lakh cr budget, announces welfare/development measures to boost economy
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Taking a firm stand against encroachment on government land, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday assured action in the...

Read moreDetails

CM pitches for separate department to study climate change

31 Jammu colonies regularised, further process stayed by HC: CM
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday called for the formation of a specific department which will study climate change...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Mysterious deaths: Central team begins probe in affected Rajouri village

Mysterious deaths: Central team begins probe in affected Rajouri village

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.