Srinagar: Police on Friday said that they conducted a raid in Natipora area of Srinagar district in connection with the case of unlawful activities.
Police spokesperson in a statement said that continuing its investigation into case FIR No. 65/2024 under section 13 UA(P) Act of PS Shergarhi, police conducted a raid in Natipora, Srinagar, as part of efforts to dismantle a network “involved in spreading fabricated and malicious narratives aimed at inciting unlawful and violent activities”.
He said the investigation is focused on certain individuals who, at the behest of adversaries and in criminal conspiracy, have been involved in manufacturing and disseminating twisted, false information. This campaign of misinformation is intended to provoke violence and disrupt public order.
Following the acquisition of search warrants from the NIA Court, police carried out searches at the residence of one Abdul Hamid Parry, son of Gulam Mohammad Parry, resident of Budshah Nagar, Natipora. During the raid, incriminating materials and electronic devices were seized.
Searches are also planned at the residences of other identified suspects linked to this malicious propaganda, the spokesperson said.
Pertinently, last week also police conducted raids in Batmaloo and HMT areas, targeting two individuals — Owais Riyaz Dar, son of Riyaz Ahmad Dar, resident of Bonpora Batmaloo, and Sahil Ahmad Bhat, son of Noor Mohammad, resident of HMT Zainakote, who were identified as “key figures in orchestrating the unlawful narrative”, spokesperson said.
Police have urged the public, particularly youth, to be vigilant and responsible while using social media platforms, and reminded citizens to refrain from sharing or uploading content that promotes false, inciteful narratives and could lead others to engage in acts of terror.
“Police have identified additional suspects connected to the ongoing investigation and are planning further raids in coming days. These actions are part of a larger effort to combat the misuse of social media for spreading harmful and misleading information that threatens public order and safety,” the spokesperson added.