• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Demolitions in Gujarat: If authorities acted in contempt, will have to restore structures, says SC

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
October 4, 2024
in NATION
A A
0
SC says will consider listing of pleas challenging abrogation of Article 370
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday cautioned authorities in Gujarat over demolitions in the state, saying if it finds that they acted in contempt of its recent order against such action, it will ask them to restore the structures.

A bench of Justices B R Gavai and K V Viswanathan was hearing a plea seeking initiation of contempt proceedings against the Gujarat authorities for alleged violation of the apex court’s September 17 order which had said there shall be no demolition of properties, including of those accused of crimes, across the country without its permission.

More News

India joins over 100 countries in condemning Israel’s ‘unilateral’ decisions in West Bank

India likely to join US-led strategic alliance ‘Pax Silica’ on Friday

‘Sheer hypocrisy’: Cong slams govt for joining ‘late’ countries condemning Israel’s West Bank action

Load More

The bench refused to pass an order of status quo on the demolition near the Somnath temple in Gujarat.

On September 28, the authorities in Gujarat carried out a demolition drive to clear encroachments on government lands near the Somnath temple in Gir Somnath district.

The administration had said religious structures and concrete houses were demolished during the drive that freed around 15 hectares of government land valued at Rs 60 crore.

Senior advocate Sanjay Hegde, appearing for petitioner Summast Patni Muslim Jamat, said that despite the top court’s order, the authorities in Gujarat have demolished structures.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Gujarat authorities, said the structures were abutting the sea and were around 340 metres away from the Somnath temple.

“This falls within the exception carved out by your lordships,” the top law officer said.

In its order last month, the apex court had said, “We further clarify that our order would not be applicable if there is an unauthorised structure in any public place such as road, street, footpath, abutting railway line or any river body or water bodies and also, to cases where there is an order for demolition made by a court of law”.

During the hearing on Friday, the bench observed, “If we find that they are in contempt of our order, not only we will be sending them to jail but we will ask them to restore all this.”

Without issuing a notice on the plea, the bench asked Mehta to file a response and posted the matter for hearing on October 16.

Senior advocate Hegde said notices issued to people there (area where demolitions were carried out) did not speak of any demolition, even though the demolition drive was conducted on September 28.

There were 45 houses, 10 mosques and five dargahs in the area spanning 57 acres, he said.

The top court had dealt with a similar matter from Assam on September 30 and besides issuing a notice on that plea, it had asked the parties to maintain the status quo, he added.

Mehta said he would file a reply to the petition.

The matter pertains to government land and the proceedings started in 2023. Notices were issued by the authority concerned and personal hearing was given to the parties, he said.

People had approached several authorities, including the Waqf Tribunal, but no interim injunction was granted, he added.

“We will not issue a notice, you file your reply,” the bench told Mehta.

When Hegde requested the bench that the status quo be maintained, Mehta said somebody had filed a petition before the Gujarat High Court for the same but it was refused.

“We have made it clear that in case we find that they are in contempt, we will direct them to restore the position as it was,” the bench said, adding that its earlier order applies equally to everyone.

On October 1, the SC had reserved its verdict on a batch of pleas which alleged that properties, including of those accused of crime, were being demolished in several states.

The top court had said it would lay down pan-India guidelines on demolition of properties. It had said in its September 17 order that it would continue till it decides the matter.

Previous Post

It’s now ‘cocaine’ Congress: BJP ups ante against oppn over alleged links with drug haul ‘kingpin’

Next Post

Rajnath pitches for greater role of private sector in defence production

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

India joins over 100 countries in condemning Israel’s ‘unilateral’ decisions in West Bank

India joins over 100 countries in condemning Israel’s ‘unilateral’ decisions in West Bank
February 19, 2026

United Nations: India has joined over 100 countries and global organisations in condemning Israel's "unilateral" decisions and measures aimed at...

Read moreDetails

India likely to join US-led strategic alliance ‘Pax Silica’ on Friday

Defence deals boost India-US ties, new era in relations, say experts
February 19, 2026

New Delhi: India is likely to formally join a US-led strategic alliance, known as 'Pax Silica', which is aimed at...

Read moreDetails

‘Sheer hypocrisy’: Cong slams govt for joining ‘late’ countries condemning Israel’s West Bank action

8 oppn-ruled states demand mechanism to ensure GST rate cut benefits get passed on to consumers
February 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday took a swipe at the government over India reportedly joining "late" the list of...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi meets president of Spain, PM of Finland; says India-EU FTA ushers in golden era

PM Modi meets president of Spain, PM of Finland; says India-EU FTA ushers in golden era
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday held separate meetings with President of Spain Pedro Sanchez and Prime Minister...

Read moreDetails

Stones pelted, tear gas shells fired as farmers’ protest in Bathinda turns violent

Stones pelted, tear gas shells fired as farmers’ protest in Bathinda turns violent
February 19, 2026

Bathinda/Patiala:  Police on Wednesday lobbed tear gas shells to control a group of farmers after they allegedly pelted stones at...

Read moreDetails

TMC set to win 4 Rajya Sabha seats in Bengal, BJP 1; Left to lose representation

Saloora, Wani join PDP along with hundreds of supporters
February 19, 2026

Kolkata:  With numbers firmly stacked in its favour, the ruling TMC is set to win four of the five Rajya...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Rajnath pitches for greater role of private sector in defence production

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.