• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, February 23, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

India questions World Bank’s decision to start two separate processes to resolve Indo-Pak differences

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
February 3, 2023
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
India declines to comment on Pakistan’s flip-flop on bilateral trade
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi: India on Thursday questioned the World Bank’s decision to appoint a Court of Arbitration and a neutral expert under two separate processes to resolve differences between New Delhi and Islamabad over the Kishenganga and Ratle hydroelectric projects in Jammu and Kashmir.

Last week, India issued a notice to Pakistan seeking a review and modification of the 62-year-old Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) for management of cross-border rivers following Islamabad’s “intransigence” in handling disputes.

More News

‘Don’t share OTP, Aadhaar, bank details’: PM Modi’s tips on combating digital fraud

Three JeM terrorists killed in Kishtwar encounter

‘Sixth Khelo India Winter Games to begin at Gulmarg today

Load More

“I do not think they (World Bank) are in a position to interpret the treaty for us. It is a treaty between our two countries and our assessment of the treaty is that there is a provision of graded approach,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said.

India took the significant step of sending the notice to Pakistan conveying its intent to amend the treaty months after the World Bank announced appointing a neutral expert and a chair of Court of Arbitration to resolve the differences over the Kishenganga and Ratle hydroelectric projects.

New Delhi has been particularly disappointed over the appointment of the Court of Arbitration.

“India’s Indus Water Commissioner issued a notice on January 25 for the modification of the Indus Waters Treaty of 1960 to his Pakistani counterpart,” Bagchi said at a media briefing while replying to a question on the matter.

“This notice was issued with the intent to provide an opportunity to Pakistan to enter into government-to-government negotiations to rectify ongoing material breach of the treaty,” he said.

Bagchi said India called upon Pakistan to notify a suitable date for the commencement of inter-state bilateral negotiations under article 12(III) of the treaty within 90 days.

“I am not aware of a response from Pakistan as yet. I am not aware of any response or comment by the World Bank,” he said.

The World Bank’s role is procedural and it appoints neutral experts or the chair of the court of arbitration in case of differences between India and Pakistan on issues relating to cross-border rivers.

“I do not think they (World Bank) are in a position to interpret the treaty for us. It is a treaty between our two countries and our assessment of the treaty is that there is a provision of graded approach,” Bagchi said.

New Delhi considers the start of the two concurrent processes to resolve the dispute a violation of the provision of the graded mechanism prescribed in the pact and wondered what will happen if the mechanisms come out with contradictory judgements.

“The world bank itself, around five-six years ago, acknowledged the problem of having two parallel processes. Our interpretation and assessment is that this is not in consonance with the provisions of the treaty and hence we have been talking about a graded approach,” Bagchi said.

The spokesperson said India’s position on the matter has not changed at all.

“I do not know whether the World Bank has changed its position on it,” he said.

India has not cooperated with the Court of Arbitration.

Under the pact, any differences need to be resolved under a three-stage approach. However, in the cases of Kishenganga and Ratle hydroelectric projects, the World Bank started two concurrent dispute redressal processes at the insistence of Pakistan that India felt was a breach of the IWT, according to sources.

Previous Post

India’s Hajj quota for 2023 fixed at 1,75,025: Govt

Next Post

CBI has jurisdiction to investigate offences committed within erstwhile State of J&K: HC

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

‘Don’t share OTP, Aadhaar, bank details’: PM Modi’s tips on combating digital fraud

   PM Modi pitches for ‘swadeshi’ goods
February 23, 2026

New Delhi: "Do not share your OTP, Aadhaar number, or bank account details with anyone. Most importantly, change your passwords...

Read moreDetails

Three JeM terrorists killed in Kishtwar encounter

Three JeM terrorists killed in Kishtwar encounter
February 23, 2026

Jammu: Three members of the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terror outfit were killed in an encounter with security forces in Kishtwar...

Read moreDetails

‘Sixth Khelo India Winter Games to begin at Gulmarg today

‘Sixth Khelo India Winter Games to begin at Gulmarg today
February 23, 2026

Gulmarg: The famous ski-resort, Gulmarg is ready to host the sixth Khelo India Winter Games (KIWG) in which over 400...

Read moreDetails

‘Continued delay’ in restoration of statehood to J-K is concerning: Farooq Abdullah

NC-led govt achieved a lot in one year despite UT status: Farooq Abdullah
February 23, 2026

Srinagar: Ruling National Conference (NC) president Farooq Abdullah on Sunday expressed concern over the "continued delay" in the restoration of...

Read moreDetails

NHPC to launch desilting as Salal reservoir’s capacity shrinks 96 per cent

IWT to remain suspended until Pakistan abjures support for cross-border terror: Jal Shakti ministry
February 23, 2026

Jammu: Decades after key sediment-management facilities were rendered inoperable under the Indus Waters Treaty, the reservoir of the Salal power...

Read moreDetails

Last rites of Jammu student who died in Russia-Ukraine war held

Last rites of Jammu student who died in Russia-Ukraine war held
February 23, 2026

Jammu:  Manjinder Singh, 24, travelled to Russia on a student visa with hopes of higher education and supporting his family....

Read moreDetails
Next Post
PIL seeks HC intervention for establishing daycare centres, old-age homes for elderly

CBI has jurisdiction to investigate offences committed within erstwhile State of J&K: HC

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.