• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, February 22, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

HC acquits ex-DU professor Saibaba in `Maoist links’ case

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
October 14, 2022
in NATION
A A
0
J&K high court quashes FIR against TOI reporter
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Mumbai: More than eight years after his arrest, the Bombay High Court on Friday acquitted former Delhi University professor G N Saibaba in an alleged Maoist links case for want of valid sanction for prosecution under the UAPA.

Following the HC order, the National Investigation Agency — which had taken over the probe from Maharashtra police — moved the Supreme Court against the acquittal. The SC, however, rejected NIA’s request for immediate stay to the order.

More News

Cong turned AI Summit into arena for its ‘gandi aur nangi’ politics: PM Modi

FIR against Swami Avimukteshwaranand under POCSO Act

Kerala Story 2 propaganda film aimed at polarisation: John Brittas

Load More

Setting aside the life imprisonment awarded to Saibaba by the trial court, the high court noted that while the fight against terrorism was important, procedural safeguards can not be sacrificed “at the altar of perceived peril to national security.”

Saibaba, 52, is likely to be released from Nagpur central jail where he is lodged since his arrest in May 2014 on Saturday, his lawyers said.

The high court’s Nagpur bench of Justices Rohit Deo and Anil Pansare in its 101-page   judgement noted that the sanction to prosecute the accused under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act was “bad in law and invalid”.

Saibaba, who is wheelchair-bound due to 90 per cent physical disability, should be released forthwith  unless his custody was required in any other case, the court said.

Welcoming the ruling, his wife A S Vasantha Kumari said they had faith that he would be cleared from the case as he was innocent.

The HC also allowed the appeals filed by five other convicts, acquitting them of all charges.

In March 2017, a sessions court in eastern Maharashtra’s Gadchiroli district convicted Saibaba and others including a journalist and a Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student for alleged Maoist links and for indulging in activities amounting to `waging war against the country.’

The trial court held Saibaba and others guilty under the stringent UAPA and Indian Penal Code (IPC).

The sanction to prosecute under the UAPA was granted in 2014 against the five accused who had been arrested initially. The sanction to prosecute Saibaba was granted in 2015.

The HC pointed out that in 2014 when the trial court took cognisance of the charge-sheet against him and others, there was no sanction to prosecute Saibaba under the UAPA.

The trial court’s proceedings were thus “null and void” in the absence of a valid sanction under the UAPA and hence the judgment of conviction was liable to be set aside, the high court held.

Terrorism poses an ominous threat to national security and vile and abhorrent acts of terror do evoke collective societal anger and anguish, the judges said.

“While the war against terror must be waged by the State with unwavering resolve, and every legitimate weapon in the armoury must be deployed in the fight against terror, a civil democratic society can ill afford sacrificing the procedural safeguards legislatively provided, and which is an integral facet of the due process of law, at the altar of perceived peril to national security,” the HC said.

Speaking to PTI, Saibaba’s wife Kumari said, “We had faith that he would be acquitted because he did not do anything wrong. There was no crime and no evidence. I am thankful to the judiciary and all those who supported us.”

The couple’s daughter is currently pursuing MPhil from Jamia Millia Islamia.

Asked how they coped with his absence in the last eight years, Kumari said, “Don’t ask! There was a lot of struggle and patience involved in the last eight years. It was difficult for Sai also since his health deteriorated and he lost his job.

While Saibaba was a resident of Delhi at the time of his arrest, co-accused Mahesh Tirki (27) and Pandu Narote (who died while the hearing on his appeal was pending) were locals of Gadchiroli district and were farmers.

Hem Mishra (37) was a student who lived in Almoda district in Uttarakhand, Prashant Sanglikar (59) was a journalist who hailed from Deharadun in Uttarakhand and Vijay Tirki (35) from Chattisgarh was a labourer at the time of arrest.

Only Vijay Tirki had been granted bail in the case.

Previous Post

SCO-RATS decide to counter threats from international terror groups operating from Afghanistan

Next Post

Gujarat poll dates not out along with HP to give PM more time for mega promises, inaugurations: Cong

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Cong turned AI Summit into arena for its ‘gandi aur nangi’ politics: PM Modi

Ease of justice must for all, language of law should be local, simple: PM Modi
February 22, 2026

Meerut (UP): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday came down heavily on the Congress over its "shirtless" protest at the...

Read moreDetails

FIR against Swami Avimukteshwaranand under POCSO Act

Tampering with smart meters: Govt mulls to lodge FIR against 272 consumers in Sgr
February 22, 2026

Lucknow (UP):  An FIR was lodged in Prayagraj against Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati and his disciple Mukundanand Brahmachari over allegations of...

Read moreDetails

Kerala Story 2 propaganda film aimed at polarisation: John Brittas

Kerala Story 2 propaganda film aimed at polarisation: John Brittas
February 22, 2026

New Delhi:  The Kerala Story 2 is a "propaganda" movie aimed at creating polarisation ahead of the upcoming Assembly elections...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi flags success stories of farmers in better land use, water saving, extra income

   PM Modi pitches for ‘swadeshi’ goods
February 22, 2026

New Delhi: A Kerala village's success in growing 570 varieties of rice in a single field and how a Odisha...

Read moreDetails

Modi-Lula talks: India, Brazil set USD 20-billion annual trade target, sign critical minerals pact

Modi-Lula talks: India, Brazil set USD 20-billion annual trade target, sign critical minerals pact
February 21, 2026

New Delhi:  India and Brazil on Saturday set an annual bilateral trade target of USD 20 billion in the next...

Read moreDetails

Infiltrators to be removed not only from electoral rolls but also from country in next 5 years: Shah

Culprits involved in JK terror attack won’t be spared, says Amit Shah
February 21, 2026

Guwahati: Asserting that if India can be free of Naxals, it can also be free of infiltrators, Union Home Minister...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Final Electoral Roll published for Municipal polls: CEO

Gujarat poll dates not out along with HP to give PM more time for mega promises, inaugurations: Cong

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.